Best patch short patch cords for linking pedals?

Discussion in 'Gear' started by tubby_cosmos, Dec 20, 2009.

1. tubby_cosmos Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    What do you guys use to connect your pedals? I need some soon and I don't think I'll have time to spend making my own patch chords to connect all my pedals, so I need to go buy a few in the 4" to 1' range. The lead guitarist in my cover band recently switched to a multieffects unit after being a stompbox guy for a few years so he's giving/lending (it's not quite clear yet) me a couple of his pedals to add to my collection. Very cool, but now I need to figure out how I'm going to arrange everything =P.

Anyways, enough ADD. What kind of cords?
  2. woody77 Getting Slimmer Every Week!

Message Count:
    Never Fear, click on this link bellow and enjoy arranging your board ;)

http://pedalboardplanner.com/

I do suggest making your own, George L's, Lava, Planet Waves all do great pedalboard kits. And they are relatively easy to construct, you could always ask your band mates to help. Some pre made patch cables tend to be flimsy and break easy so spending some extra pennies on decent cables will be an investment, also you could be able to replace the cable if you decide to rearrange your board again. Remember to keep them short n sweet to keep your tone crisp ;)
  3. Amberience F**K SLAPBACK!

Message Count:
    Why the hell didn't you mention Lava cables in my thread!?! :D

Exactly what I was looking for. And quite a bit cheaper than George L's too.
  4. fred1021 New Member

Message Count:
    if you can afford it DiMarzio there cables are nuts
  5. woody77 Getting Slimmer Every Week!

Message Count:
    Sorry my bad ;)
  6. Amberience F**K SLAPBACK!

Message Count:
    :D

No worries; cheers though. Gonna order a bunch after xmas; you can get 30 jacks and 30' of cable for £130 !!?! :mad:
  7. woody77 Getting Slimmer Every Week!

Message Count:
    Sweet, and they look like good cables too :D
  8. Amberience F**K SLAPBACK!

Message Count:
    Supposed to be much better than George L's.
  9. Stearner There's no stopping... a bird dropping

Message Count:
    Thanks for the heads up to Lava cables, they look very cool and very high quality from what I can see.. I have larger priorities at the moment than replacing my cables, but when the time comes these could be the way to go :)
  10. Ernesto Does not have the same opinion!

Message Count:
    If I would give any advice on cables (instrument, pedal patch), rather than for which brand to go exactly, I'd say this:
    1. Don't pay too much, cables are bound to suffer and will have to be replaced frequently;
    2. Don 't get thin or improperly shielded cables;
    3. Make a choice and then stick to the brand and type of cable of your choice, reason being that cables have an impact on the sound, if you set up your tone with cable X, then go to a gig using cable Y, you'll have to retweak your settings.
    Personally I have used Klotz cables for over 15 years, and have always been satisfied with the quality. There is one exception, I also have a few vintage style (cloth) cables because they help getting a vintage tweed sound when I need it.
  11. woody77 Getting Slimmer Every Week!

Message Count:
    Good advice, I was thinking of the planet waves kits because they look quite chunky and could take a lot of punishment.
  12. Andrew F Chicken Lickin' Tiger Time

Message Count:
    I use Planetwave patch cables, except I need to replace one of my longer cables as its a little shoddy.

But, A good quality patch cable is worth every penny.
  13. Amberience F**K SLAPBACK!

Message Count:
    :D
  14. Stearner There's no stopping... a bird dropping

Message Count:
    I don't personally rate PWs for reliability.. had one myself and it broke after a few months of home use. I know Joe Bonamassa used to get through tonnes on tour, but for patch cables they may be alright, they sound pretty good too, or as I remember :)
  15. woody77 Getting Slimmer Every Week!

Message Count:
    I was just thinking of buying the pedalboard kit, I'm not sure about making making my own guitar lead.
  16. Stearner There's no stopping... a bird dropping

Message Count:
    Yeh, should be fine then, unless you wanted to have all you cables match, of course ;)
  17. sted Doesn't give a f**k.

Message Count:
    Stick gave me a very reasonable price for his Silentnoise cables that he makes up himslef, custom lengths, at least drop him a line through the store to get a price, theyre all HQ klotz cable.
  18. cderycke "Your limits may not be where you think they are"

Message Count:
    YouTube Channel:
    cderycke
    I can vouch for Sticks silentnoise cables too. Great price and pretty much custom made to order length and jack type. I'll be posting him a mail when I replace my patch cables in a month or so.

Drop him a line - you wont be dissapointed
  19. Voodoorider Can spot a twat a mile away.

Message Count:
    YouTube Channel:
    voodooriders
    I have 2 of sticks cables arriving on Tuesday! Checked them out at Robs a few weeks ago and they're a vey solid build, i guess only time will tell on the durability, but i have a feeling they're going to be great :cool: Very reasonably priced too!
  20. Mojo292 Wango Tango!

Message Count:
    All I can say is buy something that has a lifetime warranty, then when it shits and dies, you get a free replacement. You'll never have to buy cables again, unless the original maker goes belly up. I'm content with Fulltone cables, they are cheaper than Monster and PW, and they are guaranteed for life. Just send the dead one back, and they replace it.

edit: Stick's cables sound like a good deal, especially for those in the UK. ;)