Best Mesa clones?

ScutMonkey

So in my learning of what I like I've discovered I really enjoy the tones from the Mesa Mark V and Mesa Dual Rec. I know, get in line, right?

Well, there's no way I can bring myself to drop $1k on a tube amp so I'm wondering if there are any clones which are worth looking at?

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I feel the same way. I bought this:

Use it as a preamp into a dedicated power amp or the return of an effects loop and it roars, you even get a Fender type clean channel in that mode when you switch it off. You can use it as a distortion pedal into the front end of an amp and you can record direct or go into a pa from the cab sim out (I've only ever tried it as a preamp). This thing rocks.

If you really want an amp though Bugera make the Trirec:

I've never tried it but I think they are around £650.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I agree with @Wade Garrett . In my search for an affordable Rockerverb clone I ended up using a Wampler Catapulp pedal. And it's awesome. For rectifier tone, check out the Wampler Triple Wreck. For Mark tones, I'm not sure what pedal would work, but there's probably one out there.

If you still want to go amps, the Lead channel on a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister Deluxe 40 is voiced to a Rectifier. Not saying it sounds the same, but it's loosely based on it.

Last edited:

mirage2101

Isn't the mesa mark V a bunch of clones stacked on top of eachother?
They do make some great pedals too so you might just go that way. Or see what you really like about those two. If it's just the drive channel you might be able to find an amp that does that channel well.

@Robstafarian knows a bucketload about this stuff. When I was thinking about the synergy system he made a list of what channel in the mark V was based on what amp and what synergy unit would give that sound:
Synergy Modules to Approximate Mesa Modes
For the Mark IIC+, you might prefer the Synergy Plexi's Red channel to the Synergy Soldano SLO's Blue channel. To approximate switching from Fat to Mark IV or Extreme, then consider the Synergy Diezel VH4 module.

Depending on what you like it's easy to look up at the synergy site what they based their modules on. And finding a plexi clone might be easier then a clone of the mesa V.

I have to admit all the buttons on that bugera make me drool though..

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I don't like amps with too many knobs...I also don't like Bugera. They are cheap and sound...ok at best. In the end they will break down on you and that will cost you as much as getting a decent amp would in the end. Don't do Bugera.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I don't like amps with too many knobs...I also don't like Bugera. They are cheap and sound...ok at best. In the end they will break down on you and that will cost you as much as getting a decent amp would in the end. Don't do Bugera.
I can't say I agree on the sound, the 333xl sounds beastly, I have no idea about the Trirec. You might have a point about reliability though.