Best Gear in the Past 10 Years

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
Inspired by the 10 year photo challenge that's popped up on social media, Anderton's posed this question on their Instagram: What's the best piece of gear to come out in the past 10 years? Thought it'd be good fodder for discussion.

I don't know that I can choose just one. Things in the running in my mind are the Evertune bridge, the Kemper Profiler, and the Digitech Drop pedal.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
The Line6 Helix
Not only for the impressive variety of options it offers
But also that, through social media, Line6 have shown they genuinely care for - they answer “HELP!” posts on the Helix FB Group in minutes - and want to keep giving new models of killer amps and pedals to customers who were willing to spend a big chunk of change and invest in the unit in the first place.
Someone posted on the group a while back, “so, when is Helix 2 coming out?” Frank Richotte (head guy at Line6) replied almost immediately “We have a very long road ahead planned for the current Helix, so just enjoy the ride”
Add in the local Helix owners get together they plan - I attended in run Glasgow at GG and Line6 demo guys were there to help pass on tips - that for me, seeing a company really understand the value of looking after their customers has been mind blowing.
It’s like buying a Helix is your entry ticket to a whole world of cool shit and amazing tech support - Frank messaged me personally and asked me to keep him posted when I was having a temporary problem with one of the footswitches on my Helix - with new toys/models delivered gratis every few months!
Bravo Line6, BRAVO!
:clap:
:)

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The Line6 Helix
Not only for the impressive variety of options it offers
But also that, through social media, Line6 have shown they genuinely care for - they answer “HELP!” posts on the Helix FB Group in minutes - and want to keep giving new models of killer amps and pedals to customers who were willing to spend a big chunk of change and invest in the unit in the first place.
Someone posted on the group a while back, “so, when is Helix 2 coming out?” Frank Richotte (head guy at Line6) replied almost immediately “We have a very long road ahead planned for the current Helix, so just enjoy the ride”
Add in the local Helix owners get together they plan - I attended in run Glasgow at GG and Line6 demo guys were there to help pass on tips - that for me, seeing a company really understand the value of looking after their customers has been mind blowing.
It’s like buying a Helix is your entry ticket to a whole world of cool shit and amazing tech support - Frank messaged me personally and asked me to keep him posted when I was having a temporary problem with one of the footswitches on my Helix - with new toys/models delivered gratis every few months!
Bravo Line6, BRAVO!
:clap:
:)
Modelers and profiles really are the future, I reckon there will be a gradual shift that way as kids are used to them and more bands use them, making them cooler for the younger players.

SemiCullen

Modelers and profiles really are the future, I reckon there will be a gradual shift that way as kids are used to them and more bands use them, making them cooler for the younger players.
Quite. I'm reminded of a lot of the recent conversations with studio producers who've talked a lot about how legacy musicians get very touchy about alligning drum tracks "to the grid" and other digital voodoo, but how there's an entire generation of musicians who've now grown up with all of their music being produced that way. Modelers and profilers are definitely the future.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Quite. I'm reminded of a lot of the recent conversations with studio producers who've talked a lot about how legacy musicians get very touchy about alligning drum tracks "to the grid" and other digital voodoo, but how there's an entire generation of musicians who've now grown up with all of their music being produced that way. Modelers and profilers are definitely the future.
I used to play with a drummer that was a fair few years younger than me. He was giving the first Machine Head's first album shit because the drums were "out of time". Are they fuck, they are just not quantized like today's music. I'm old enough to have recorded to tape so I can appreciate the skill people need to do that, it's way too easy to loop and fix with editing and quantising these days. Very useful tools but I worry about the effect it's having on musicians.

mirage2101

I'll take a couple of pot shots..
The boss katana: It brought cheap practice amps in the range of quality stuff. Sure I'm a gearhead and I love my toys. But really completely perfectly honestly? If I lot my job and just had a guitar and the katana it wouldn't impact my playing. It feels good sounds good.. At that price there's very little you can complain about it.

helix/kemper: In the same vein as the katana, they brought high end stuff into modeling / profiling. Made otherwise unreachable things reachable. Seriously good gear.

Reissues: I don't really think that's of the last 10 years and a very broad spectrum. But for all traditionalists just being able to go to the store and get an affordable version of 50s and 60s gear is great. I think in the end most of us realize modern guitars are great workhorses.. But to have that guitar X played is something special.

Affordable daw's on affordable harware: I remember 20 years ago trying to install cakewalk on my home pc. It didn't work without extra hardware. Was absolutely a pain to understand without someone to help you. (and internet wasn't as it's now). these days you can just fire up garage band and make music in a couple of minutes.

Internet lessons: People like justin sandercoe but lots and lots and lots of others on youtube explaining how to do stuff, showing how to play things. Forums like this.. Again not strictly of the last 10 years but it has really taken flight and some quality options have risen to the surface. It's not gear but this might be the greatest contribution to guitar playing ever.

SemiCullen

Internet lessons: People like justin sandercoe but lots and lots and lots of others on youtube explaining how to do stuff, showing how to play things. Forums like this.. Again not strictly of the last 10 years but it has really taken flight and some quality options have risen to the surface. It's not gear but this might be the greatest contribution to guitar playing ever.
Dude, I agree with everything you've said (I also have a Katana and agree that's it is quite something), but this right here is the thing. I've spent the last 25 years or so pickup up and putting down the guitar so many times. I invest would invest time and money in getting a new guitar or something to "help" me play. Get a book. Get a CD. Something. And every time I would burn out after about 6 months. I didn't have time for guitar lessons then, I don't have the time now (when you factor in drive time, etc).

So, when I got back into guitar (again) a few years ago, being able to fire up Yousician and spend 10-30 minutes a day practicing or even just dicking around, or using a Youtube lesson to figure out how to play something, or finding other lessons and the like that is a really big thing. The availability of learning at your fingertips has kept me motivated to play.

metromusic

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
Modelling totally. Obviously have a bit of bias for Kemper, but appreciate the Helix and even Positive Grid Bias towards these as well.

I'd probably also say home recording interfaces/DAWS. The fact you can pretty much record at home on a minimal budget and get something that sounds reasonable/comparable to something in a proper studio still astounds me.

Tankman

Best gear in the past 10 years....that's a tough one. I'm going to split it up in categories, because I don't think you can compare guitars to amps and pedals etc.

Best Guitar:
Honestly, none. The best development in guitars for me is the fact that there are many luthiers around these days that are easily accessible. I can spec out my dream guitar and have it built for less than an American Standard Strat or whatever it's called these days would cost me. I would know, I've done it twice in the past 4 years.

Best Amp:
I don't know if it's the best. It's my favorite. The Orange Rockerverb MKII, came out in 2010. But also, in amps, the development of smaller, portable tube amps and lightweight speakers like the Neo Creamback is what was best for me.

Best effects:
I think @bad alice got it right with the Helix. I have played my friend's big Helix and i own the HX Effects. It's so easy to use and it sounds so amazing. I also agree that the Line6 support and involvement with their users is really admirable.
In developments, I think mini pedals is the best development. I mean, you can get the same quality of pedals, and fit more of them on your board this way. How awesome is that!

I guess in my opinion there's not really one best piece of gear, but some really awesome changes that happened.

Best Guitar:
Honestly, none. The best development in guitars for me is the fact that there are many luthiers around these days that are easily accessible. I can spec out my dream guitar and have it built for less than an American Standard Strat or whatever it's called these days would cost me. I would know, I've done it twice in the past 4 years.
If anything it would have been the 10-year thing last year; The Classic Vibe-series was launched in 2008 and really upped the game on affordable guitars. Not as affordable today as they were back then but still, it feels like they forced the market to adapt at that price point.

Tankman

If anything it would have been the 10-year thing last year; The Classic Vibe-series was launched in 2008 and really upped the game on affordable guitars. Not as affordable today as they were back then but still, it feels like they force the market to adapt at that price point.
Yes! Agreed. I used to work in a guitar store when those were still affordable and was amazed each time we got some in. My thinline tele is based on the thinline tele from the Classic Vibe series. There were 2 problems with that prevented me from just getting the Squier. The lacquer on the neck was just too thick and it said Squier on the headstock. It's stupid, but I just couldn't do it. I do know Mike from Incubus bought one and the wrote and recorded with it. He later upgraded the neck and toured with it as well.

AndyBirger

Fuzz is all you need
Gonna throw a curveball and say Jetslide. I suppose it's a niche market, but for those of us with use for it, it's a very simple game changer.

ed lespaul

I agree that guitars have usually gotten worse in recent years, there are a few that have wither maintained or gotten better. PRS seems to never have loosened their Quality Control.

There are a few new things that really open things up for people. The Digitech Trio (and the rest of the pedals like it) have seemed to really pushed the bar. Play a couple of chords, and get a backing track. Kind of a dream for just noodling, or even writing a song.

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
I feel like Helix is more of the gradual evolution of what Line 6 have been doing since the POD, so I think I have to give it to the Kemper on the grounds that it feels like a new piece of gear. Even though of the two I'd have a Helix.

I also think it's fair to mention the Music Man St. Vincent. A truly original body shape is extremely rare in this day and age and for it to catch on reasonably quickly with a fair amount of people using it is really cool.