Bedroom Amps (Again)

AllTheGear

and assorted shizzle...
I have not watched that episode yet, as I was running quite late yesterday. Having said that, I may be able to answer your attenuator questions.
I think it's primarily interest only right now. Way back when, I had opportunity to try a THD Hotplate with a very nice, very loud Hiwatt, and I got the point almost instantly. It made sense with the higher power valve amps. Without it, the amp was efdectively either off or unusably loud in the space we had.

I don't use a massive amp, my "gig volume" is very conservative but I still get to push my amp at around the halfway point on both the drive and volume controls and get some superb tones. I don't think I need anything to control this but I:m intrigued

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
I have just gotten to the part of the episode (28:41) wherein Mick first plays the Bassbreaker 15 combo and finds it too loud. It peaked at 85.7dB, which led me to do a quick calculation:
  • The Celestion V-Type speaker used in the Bassbreaker 15 combo has a sensitivity rating of 98dB.
  • It is possible to buy a 12″ guitar speaker which has a sensitivity rating of 96dB (e.g. my next speaker)
  • Being rated at 7W, the Fender Bassbreaker 007 (head, for this purpose) would be 3dB quieter than the Bassbreaker 15 with equivalent preamp gain—obviously, the 007 could not match the 15's highest gain settings.
Thus, the setup I just described would match Mick's first example of the Bassbreaker 15 at 80.7dB.

Lone Star

31.08.... "playing at low volumes, it's hard to feel anything"

Fuck off.

You know, as much as use to love watching loads of videos and shooting the breeze about gear I've come to the conclusion that plugging in and playing gear at your own level of knowledge and usage is the key to happiness. Maybe an amp can be "too big" or "too small" for its chosen application. Fine, either mic it up to make it louder or turn it down. If in doing either of these options you lose your preferred sound then keep experimenting or move on to something else.

An amp doesn't have to be loud for you as a player to have feeling. I think the video you linked us to Rob confirms why I haven't watched stuff like this in a while.

Stop over complicating and play.

Fuck off.

You know, as much as use to love watching loads of videos and shooting the breeze about gear I've come to the conclusion that plugging in and playing gear at your own level of knowledge and usage is the key to happiness. Maybe an amp can be "too big" or "too small" for its chosen application. Fine, either mic it up to make it louder or turn it down. If in doing either of these options you lose your preferred sound then keep experimenting or move on to something else.

An amp doesn't have to be loud for you as a player to have feeling. I think the video you linked us to Rob confirms why I haven't watched stuff like this in a while.

You're right - My 50 watt JVM (which is considered "a monster") + 2*12 cab sounds awesome in relatively low levels of volume.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.

Fuck off.

but - what he says is no different from saying "i need a low action" or humbuckers are too loud - i can't hear the tone"

people like, want and need different stuff to be able to play at their optimum happiness

eg: if i was given a silver face twin and a rick 12 string, yes - i could just plug in and play. but i'd get bored quickly and fucked off soon after with the lack of gain, size, weight and over bearing output of the amp linked to the "meh" pickups and play ability on the guitar

if they were my only options, i would stop playing as i would not enjoy it

someone needs to feel the air move or hear the power amp working or or believes that ash sounds different to alder or anything more than a TS808 is too much gain or whatever? - good on them

personally, i watch and listen to as much as i can. even stuff i don't like or agree with - or stuff that is way beyond me. for example, i learn a lot more about my playing from Paul Gilbert's (who i like a lot btw) attitude and intelligence than i do from his playing

being a dyed-in-the-wool pedal head, TPS has been a gold mine of information about settings, placements, interaction and concepts for me. similarly Henning Pauly - esp for reviews and how to place a tone in a mix

i watch Premier Guitar's rig run downs, no matter who is featured - there might be a tiny bit of info that might help me in there. i mean, i love the Darkness - but the main thing i took away was how to store your strap when attached to a guitar

all information and knowledge is good

Robstafarian

Fuck off.

Firstly, my post was an indirect reply—thus contributing to the thread as a whole—to the previous post which embedded that video:
Some may find this quite useful...

Secondly, Mick went out of his way to qualify that statement as being based on his own experience playing at gig volumes for decades and the way he personally feels amps as he plays them. Dan went out of his way to qualify his statement with a technical basis, which formed a good case study in tube amp dynamics.

Finally, you should really take a moment to breathe before posting things which make you seem less friendly and more foolish that you actually are: I understand that you have a lot to handle, and you have deep scars from your troubled past, but people who have not been friendly—if not an actual friend—to you will be quick to conclude that you are a douche. Such an appearance of douche-ness does not improve a conversation at all, and it can even be detrimental to further discussion.

I say this as a friend(ly person), not as a mod.

Steve91

Wannabe Superheroine.
Firstly, my post was an indirect reply—thus contributing to the thread as a whole—to the previous post which embedded that video:

Secondly, Mick went out of his way to qualify that statement as being based on his own experience playing at gig volumes for decades and the way he personally feels amps as he plays them. Dan went out of his way to qualify his statement with a technical basis, which formed a good case study in tube amp dynamics.

Finally, you should really take a moment to breathe before posting things which made you seem less friendly and more foolish that you actually are: I understand that you have a lot to handle, and you have deep scars from your troubled past, but people who have not been friendly—if not an actual friend—to you will be quick to conclude that you are a douche. Such an appearance of douche-ness does not improve a conversation at all, and it can even be detrimental to further discussion.

I say this as a friend(ly person), not as a mod.
There is nothing douchey about Scotts reply. It's something I've been feeling as well. The whole idea of 'just shut up and play' appeals to me because I see so many 'experts' in my life who spend all their time googling shit, and not experiencing it, and then down talking people when their experience doesn't agree with their research.

There's nothing wrong in what Scott said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Star

@Robstafarian .... the underlying problem I've found by being a lurker rather than a contributor (on the net in general) is that it is full of people with little experience and big opinions.

While shows like TPS are a wealth of knowledge for gear heads to get stuck into I can't help but think that they are over complicated for the task st hand sometimes. The major brownie points that Mick and Dan pick up is that they're not trying to sell us a product, they're chatting about high end gear... which is fine.

But for you to write off my opinion somewhat hastily as that of a "douche" signals to me that you spend too much time analysing gear and not actually playing it. My point was referring to the fact that spec sheets and the likes are great if you are a pro musician who needs to know such details but let's face it.... music is subjective and if a big amp sounds good at low volume then why is that wrong? Mick is use to playing his gear at volume so I find his comment rather unhelpful given that the majority of his fans will be bedroom players. Volume does not dictate feeling or emotion. .

Robstafarian

But for you to write off my opinion somewhat hastily as that of a "douche" signals to me that you spend too much time analysing gear and not actually playing it.
Two things struck me as being particularly douchetastic:
  1. You failed to note Mick's and Dan's qualifications of their own statements as they relate to each of their own experiences. Said qualifications change the entire character of the presentation from being a general pronouncement—to which the character of your post appears to be a response—to an expression of personal preference. Note that I did not attack your preference in my response, only your presentation.
  2. Your incorrect attribution, to me, of that video's introduction to this thread seemed to confirm that you hold some strange—particularly insulting—myth about me. Said myth is expressed in the quote at the top of this post and in the following quote, which was similarly out of place itself:
    I'm not a guy who requires infinite possibilities from one guitar.
Volume does not dictate feeling or emotion.
Whereas that is true for you, it is not true for Mick; you were right: music is subjective.

Steve91

Wannabe Superheroine.
Two things struck me as being particularly douchetastic:
  1. You failed to note Mick's and Dan's qualifications of their own statements as they relate to each of their own experiences. Said qualifications change the entire character of the presentation from being a general pronouncement—to which the character of your post appears to be a response—to an expression of personal preference. Note that I did not attack your preference in my response, only your presentation.
  2. Your incorrect attribution, to me, of that video's introduction to this thread seemed to confirm that you hold some strange—particularly insulting—myth about me. Said myth is expressed in the quote at the top of this post and in the following quote, which was similarly out of place itself:

Whereas that is true for you, it is not true for Mick; you were right: music is subjective.
You're missing the point. You're sitting there essentially saying that because Scots opinion differs from your own interpretation of facts, he's a douchbag. That's the issue I have, and you've now said it multiple times.

People are allowed to disagree with you, Rob. You seem to take it as a personal insult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schnozz

Cheers Guys,

I was thinking more about Solid State Amps for the Bedroom, because as much as I want a Tweed Deluxe, it's going to be too loud when I go for breakup. I think the Katana is a good shout, so I just need to see if I'm happy with the Bass/Low End - Much appreciated.

Personally, I find Rob's input more helpful as it's like having an Amp Tech onboard, whereas here is one of Scott's messages from when I first joined...

"Fuck me. ANOTHER list thread from @Schnozz.

Mate, you need a girlfriend...."

Which I thought was rich coming from someone with 15,120 posts to my 472, but I just thought well, if we weren't all socially strange (geeky) we wouldn't be on here. That Joe Bonamassa 'Nerdville' video highlights this because we were all lovin' it.

Let it wash over as banter, you don't know each other. Good to see the two perspectives I guess...

Lone Star

Well. This has been entertaining (of course I'm joking).

Called a "douche" twice by a mod and shot down for having the opinion that we over analyse rather than playing. Not to mention being patronised regarding my hard past (no harder than anyone else's). This has made things a little easier to conclude.

My internet footprint shrinks a little more.... so long for now.