Bedroom Amps (Again)

ChrisACT

No silent solution will ever sound as good as a real amp into a reactive load, into an audio interface, into Wall of Sound III running in a DAW of some sort, and you can run with headphones or monitors. This is my rig right now...

Jet City JCA22H - £140 second hand
AMT PowerEater 15W reactive load - £100
Presonus Audiobox USB - £69
Reaper - £40
Wall of Sound III - free, with £10 spent on cabs

Total: £359

It sounds fantastic.

Just add a cab, and it's a live rig - so it's probably the most cost-effective option, too.
I don't doubt it sounds great.
Point of order though ... that computer you're running Reaper and Wall of Sound III on was a freebie? ;)

digitalscream

I don't doubt it sounds great.
Point of order though ... that computer you're running Reaper and Wall of Sound III on was a freebie? ;)
True enough - I do tend to assume that most people have a computer of some sort. However, even if you add an old Core 2 Duo or Quad system from eBay (perfectly capable of running DAW software very well), that'll come to about £100 or so - still well within the budget :)

ChrisACT

You're right of course, most people do.

When I was running Guitar Rig 5 as my gigging rig, I tended to keep that laptop away from the web,with as little as possible installed on it. Just because Windows ....

The last thing you want in the middle of a gig is the BSOD. :eek:

"Hold on there folks, just give us a minute while our guitarist reboots ... "

... not a good look.

So I count it as part of the rig.

digitalscream

You're right of course, most people do.

When I was running Guitar Rig 5 as my gigging rig, I tended to keep that laptop away from the web,with as little as possible installed on it. Just because Windows ....

The last thing you want in the middle of a gig is the BSOD. :eek:

"Hold on there folks, just give us a minute while our guitarist reboots ... "

... not a good look.

So I count it as part of the rig.
That's fair. I use Linux for all my recording needs - Reaper works brilliantly under WINE (as does the Two Notes software, BFD3 and a bunch of other stuff). Harrison Mixbus has a native Linux version too and it's dirt cheap, so I sometimes use that instead. The only downside is that you need to be a bit particular about the choice of interface...fortunately, all the Presonus stuff (and most of the Focusrite stuff) works perfectly, as does the TC Impact Twin (which I haven't got rid of) and all the new Tascam gear.

The upshot? No BSODs or spinning beach balls of rage. That's the irony...running the Windows version of Reaper under Linux, I've never had a crash, lockup or latency problem...unlike running it under Windows.

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
That's fair. I use Linux for all my recording needs - Reaper works brilliantly under WINE (as does the Two Notes software, BFD3 and a bunch of other stuff). Harrison Mixbus has a native Linux version too and it's dirt cheap, so I sometimes use that instead. The only downside is that you need to be a bit particular about the choice of interface...fortunately, all the Presonus stuff (and most of the Focusrite stuff) works perfectly, as does the TC Impact Twin (which I haven't got rid of) and all the new Tascam gear.

The upshot? No BSODs or spinning beach balls of rage. That's the irony...running the Windows version of Reaper under Linux, I've never had a crash, lockup or latency problem...unlike running it under Windows.
:hug:

I still intend to join The Fretboard, by the way.

Linux LinuxStudio 4.4.30-bfq #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 6 09:03:35 EST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

digitalscream

@Robstafarian - nice little spoiler there :)

If you were considering it, the only issue with Harrison Mixbus on Linux is that it doesn't support VSTs, only LV2 plugins. Bit of a frustration, that...however, running native has its advantages. Reaper performs better under WINE than it does under Windows 10, but Mixbus is even better than that when running native. Probably the smoothest DAW experience I've ever had.

I suppose I should stop derailing the thread now...

Robstafarian

@Robstafarian - nice little spoiler there :)

If you were considering it, the only issue with Harrison Mixbus on Linux is that it doesn't support VSTs, only LV2 plugins. Bit of a frustration, that...however, running native has its advantages. Reaper performs better under WINE than it does under Windows 10, but Mixbus is even better than that when running native. Probably the smoothest DAW experience I've ever had.

I suppose I should stop derailing the thread now...
I intend to buy Bitwig Studio when I can spare the funds. By the way, the “bfq” suffix on my kernel version is Budget Fair Queuing—check it out!

Now then, no more Linux audio derails!

ChrisACT

Back to the Katana.

I stopped by the store where I bought my son's amp today on my lunch break. They had a 50W combo in the amp room so I grabbed a Telecaster with Filtertrons and had at it.

I only ran it on the 25W setting. I was in a 2m x 2m room made of glass and plasterboard with a carpet floor and no other sound absorbing devices so it was very live and bright.

It's a great sounding little amp. The bottom end seemed pretty lacking to me though but then I'm used to playing through 4 x 15" speakers and it's been a very long time since I played a 1 x 12" combo. It may also have been the room.

The tones were really good in the midrange. All of the dirty voices were very usable for me. The Brown sound is epic and cleans up really well even when set to pretty high gain.

I didn't play much with the effects so I can't really comment on them.

The preamp tones are nice but if anything, the single 12" in the lightweight, open-back enclosure lets it down a bit perhaps due to lack of bottom end. Maybe I'm just not a "combo" kinda guy. But, I reckon the 100W head through a decent quad would be very tasty.

The 50W combo might not satisfy me for the meaty tones I like but it would sit in a mix very well. I'll be interested to hear the 100W combo on Christmas day to see if the larger, heavier enclosure in a larger, less live room makes much difference.

Last edited:

Schnozz

Back to the Katana.

I stopped by the store where I bought my son's amp today on my lunch break. They had a 50W combo in the amp room so I grabbed a Telecaster with Filtertrons and had at it.

I only ran it on the 25W setting. I was in a 2m x 2m room made of glass and plasterboard with a carpet floor and no other sound absorbing devices so it was very live and bright.

It's a great sounding little amp. The bottom end seemed pretty lacking to me though but then I'm used to playing through 4 x 15" speakers and it's been a very long time since I played a 1 x 12" combo. It may also have been the room.

The tones were really good in the midrange. All of the dirty voices were very usable for me. The Brown sound is epic and cleans up really well even when set to pretty high gain.

I didn't play much with the effects so I can't really comment on them.

The preamp tones are nice but if anything, the single 12" in the lightweight, open-back enclosure lets it down a bit perhaps due to lack of bottom end. Maybe I'm just not a "combo" kinda guy. But, I reckon the 100W head through a decent quad would be very tasty.

The 50W combo might not satisfy me for the meaty tones I like but it would sit in a mix very well. I'll be interested to hear the 100W combo on Christmas day to see if the larger, heavier enclosure in a larger, less live room makes much difference.
Cheers Chris - Appreciate that

Reading around, some are buying panels to close off the back and others are keeping it within 1ft of a wall, but there's supposed to be a noticeable difference in sound between the 50w and the 100w combos.

I'm still on the fence at the moment.

Robstafarian

I have decided not to get a Katana: I would rather wait until after I have sold my amps to buy a Randall RD5H for $120 more than the 50W Katana (less if B stock is still available on Reverb).

ChrisACT

I've now heard the amp in my home.

The lack of bottom end (to my taste) is still there on the 1x12" 100W combo.

I should go back to the store some time and have a listen to some other 1x12" combos and see if it's a small combo "thing" or if it's just the Katana.

I still stand by the amp in terms of it's "in the mix" tone but it won't make your pants flap in the wind the way a quad will. Maybe I'm asking too much of it.

The effects are pretty cool. I've only played with the factory settings. I haven't loaded any other virtual pedals into it yet.

I'm still satisfied that it will be a useful tool for my son and a great practice amp to learn with.

Robstafarian

The lack of bottom end (to my taste) is still there on the 1x12" 100W combo.
That is no surprise, given that the 12″ speakers which can give a 1x12 a heavy bottom are few enough to be fairly well known (e.g. the Celestion G12K-100). Besides, you are accustomed to a 4x15 rig. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, tube preamps are considered studio equipment…:confused:
You're right.
Just wanted to say I love tube amps (I own one which is perfect for bedroom even though it's a 50 watter) - but now I had this epiphany that maybe the bedroom can tolerate studio equipment better.
Maybe it is worth considering a modeler among other options - "bedroom amps".
Hope it makes sense.

Robstafarian

You're right.
Just wanted to say I love tube amps (I own one which is perfect for bedroom even though it's a 50 watter) - but now I had this epiphany that maybe the bedroom can tolerate studio equipment better.
Maybe it is worth considering a modeler among other options - "bedroom amps".
Hope it makes sense.
As I have stated previously, prior to your joining the forum, I think that the vast majority of bedroom players would be better served by a tube preamp than by a modeling amp (whether stack or combo). I do not mean to hijack this thread with that debate, however.

beans & rice