Bedroom Amps (Again)

Schnozz

Howdy,

It's takin' longer to sell my Geetars than expected, so with the departure of my Blackstar HT5-R and Boss Dr880, I need to look for something else.

I need to budget and I'm learning towards Digital, so I was thinking maybe the Yamaha THR...But it's difficult picking from the 3 models.

I was also interested in the Roland Blues Cube Hot...but there's none local to me.

I'd like to go down the route of the Line 6 Helix into a Yamaha Speaker, but that can be the step up in a couple of years.

So what's the recommended option at the moment? I was happy with the Blackstar, but I may as well try something new...

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
And now, a list of standard questions which I am about to put in a sticky post:
  1. What is your budget?
  2. Where are you located?
  3. What guitars do you play?
  4. What effects do you use?
  5. Does it have to be a combo?
  6. Does it have to be new?
  7. What are your size and weight limitations?
  8. Do you need to be especially quiet at home?
  9. Do you need to be especially loud at gigs?
  10. What is your taste for low end, mids, et cetera?
  11. What do you want to sound like (YouTube and/or Soundcloud links are most welcome)?

Schnozz

1. £500 (could stretch to £700)
2. UK
3. P90 Les Paul, Les Paul Custom, HSH Superstrat
4. None Currently
5. Combo Preferred
6. Yep, I like New things
7. 30kg
8. Headphone Socket Preferred
9. Rehearsals/Jams Only
10. Needs Low End (Usually go for 12" Speaker)
11. I like Roland JC / Blackface Cleans, Tweed Crunch and Plexi Overdrive

I play 60s/70s Jazz and 80s Rock.

This Combo sounds incredible, but I can't afford it and it would be wasted on me right now...

Robstafarian

1. £500 (could stretch to £700)
2. UK
3. P90 Les Paul, Les Paul Custom, HSH Superstrat
4. None Currently
5. Combo Preferred
6. Yep, I like New things
7. 30kg
8. Headphone Socket Preferred
9. Rehearsals/Jams Only
10. Needs Low End (Usually go for 12" Speaker)
11. I like Roland JC / Blackface Cleans, Tweed Crunch and Plexi Overdrive

I play 60s/70s Jazz and 80s Rock.

This Combo sounds incredible, but I can't afford it and it would be wasted on me right now...

The Fender Bassbreaker 15 is £517.

ArchieIsted

I've recently made the switch to software for bedroom practice and haven't looked back.

For £500 you could pick up a fairly decent audio interface and studio monitors (assuming you have neither) plus some kind of VST (positive grid's bias fx/bias amp are decent, also different prices for different things so it's pretty scalable to a budget).

I honestly think practice amps have become outdated now

Schnozz

If I sell one of my Guitars I could spring for the Helix and try to use it as my Practice Amp as well I guess.

I really want to know if the THR is better value than the Blues Cube and if they've had a price hike. If the THR is the best, does anybody have experience of the 3 Models?

I don't like Fender.

Robstafarian

If I sell one of my Guitars I could spring for the Helix and try to use it as my Practice Amp as well I guess.

I really want to know if the THR is better value than the Blues Cube and if they've had a price hike. If the THR is the best, does anybody have experience of the 3 Models?

I don't like Fender.
To my ears, the Boss Katana series beats the shit out of the THR series. In the states, the 50W Katana combo is two-thirds the price of the THR10C. The Laney L5 Studio is worth a try at £499, which you could pair with an Orange PPC112 for £245 or (my choice) an Egnater Rebel 112x for £219 (its Elite 80 speaker is a Celestion Classic Lead 80 with more low end).

Dear Schnozz,
I'd recommend you the Victory V40 (which suits your style) - perfect for home use and studio recordings.
I'd recommend trying a Fender hot rod deluxe (combo) at a music store.
The Mesa Boogie Lone Star is an awesome choice too - try it.
Regarding the budget, I would firstly think of the amp I love the most and then buy it (even if it means to stretch the budget) - it will surely save lots of time and money in the future.

Last edited:

Robstafarian

Dear Schnozz,
I'd recommend you the Victory V40 (which suits your style) - perfect for home use and studio recordings.
I'd recommend trying a Fender hot rod deluxe (combo) at a music store.
The Mesa Boogie Lone Star is an awesome choice too - try it.
Regarding the budget, I would firstly think of the amp I love the most and then buy it (even if it means to stretch the budget) - it will surely save lots of time and money in the future.
The Victory V40 will not generate anything like tweed crunch, and I doubt that it would overdrive like a plexi. That goes double for the Hot Rod Deluxe, which has one of the worst drive sounds I have heard from a tube amp (the Fender Ramparte was similar, and worse, to my ears). Of course, there is also this little problem:
I don't like Fender.

The Victory V40 will not generate anything like tweed crunch, and I doubt that it would overdrive like a plexi. That goes double for the Hot Rod Deluxe, which has one of the worst drive sounds I have heard from a tube amp (the Fender Ramparte was similar, and worse, to my ears). Of course, there is also this little problem:
You're 100% right, but they're both a superb pedal platform (not to mention the Fender is affordable). Add a wampler plexi-drive or a Carl Martin Plexitone or a Bogner blue etc' and ...voila :) Magic!

Edit: The drive channel on the HRD is not bad at all - but it's a matter of taste.

Robstafarian

You're 100% right, but they're both a superb pedal platform (not to mention the Fender is affordable). Add a wampler plexi-drive or a Carl Martin Plexitone or a Bogner blue etc' and ...voila :) Magic!
I took this thread to mean that the OP wants an amp which meets his tonal requirements, not an amp which requires a pedal collection to meet his tonal requirements.

Robstafarian

Schnozz

Cheers Gents,

I think the Boss Katana will tie me over until the Helix (nice spot!) - I don't play enough to do a Valve/Tube Amp justice, but if I did then I'd use the money from one of my Guitars to get a Flynn Clone of some kind. Intrigued by that Mesa Boogie TA though...But it ain't a Helix.

The Superstrat and the Boss Katana will cover a lot of ground in the meantime.