BBQ Recipes

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@SemiCullen

i expect what you call a grill, we UKers call a barbecue

the best advice i ever got on bbq...

1/ white ash is your friend - flames are not. take your time before starting cooking

2/ boil your sausages - get your sausages in a link; boil them in simmering water. they will cook through. then remove, dry and finish in the bbq. helps avoid the raw inside/ burnt outside

3/ similar for chicken - cook in the oven til just done, then finish on the bbq. might not be as smokey cool as standing round a grill, but what is less cool is eating a mix of chicken sushi and ecoli

4/ any ground / processed meats need to be cooked through - never rare/ pink. a steak or cubed lamb, any nasties are on the surface and get cooked to death in the heat. when a burger or kofte is ground, any nasties are spread through the meat. unless cooked properly, any nasties will still be alive and can lead to the Way of the Exploding Keyster

5/ the biggest cause of food poisoning is badly reheated rice

mirage2101

That was a nice way to spend the day! I was done a little bit late because I had some temperature troubles starting up. I usually leave the lid open for about 5 minutes before closing it. When doing a hot cook that's no problem. But as soon as I closed the lid the temperature shot up to 200C. So I needed some time to get it down again. In the end I think the cook started a bit too high. Not a huge problem but the edges were dry here and there. Next time I'll give it a bit less time open. See how that works.

All in all they worked out very well. Not competition winning, but certainly the best ribs I've ever made myself.

For the nerds, the nitty gritty details and pictures:

Ribs, I cut them in half to make them easier to handle. Next time I'll keep them in one piece. I have room to spare on the barbecue and it'll have less ends to dry out.
IMG_1415.jpg

Generously apply rub.
IMG_1416.jpg

After three hours.. In the end I started at 150c and ended on a nice 120c.
IMG_1419.jpg

Add ahorn syrup, butter and brown sugar and wrap up.
IMG_1420.jpg

After spending 1 hour wrapped (I did a 3, 1, 1 cook so they ribs would keep a bit of bite. That was the right choice for the thickness of these ribs)
IMG_1421.jpg

Half an hour later glazed with sauce (blues hog smokey)
IMG_1422.jpg

If that doesn't look great I don't know what does. The bark worked perfectly. It looks a bit wet but it actually was spot on. It could've used a bit more salt.
IMG_1424.jpg

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
@mirage2101 That looks great. I thought they'd take closer to five hours. Blues Hog is one of my favorite sauces. The "Tennessee Red" sauce recipe I listed in the first post of this thread is a Blues Hog Tennessee Red Clone.

mirage2101

@mirage2101 That looks great. I thought they'd take closer to five hours. Blues Hog is one of my favorite sauces. The "Tennessee Red" sauce recipe I listed in the first post of this thread is a Blues Hog Tennessee Red Clone.
It was a total of five hours, three with smoke, one packed in foil and one unpacked on a big higher temp.

Your sauce in on my list to try. I still have some stuff in stock that came with my barbecue last year.