Anyone own a 2015 Gibson Les Paul?

Shredder79

Ok, I'll play.
The OP and I have chatted about this.
So let's look at the evidence.

2015 models saw -

Thicker slabs of lumber for the fretboard. WIN.

Titanium saddles. WIN.

Brass adjustable nut. WIN (adjustability). WIN (free titanium nut to replace the brass, which wears quickly).

Thicker wiring. WHO CARES.

G-Force. WIN.

Silly headstock scribble and hologram. DEAL WITH IT (personally, I think they're a great tribute to a great man).

No binding nibs. I like nibs. But I like the 2015 system just fine.

More highly finished board. WIN.

Proper inlays (not plastic). WIN.

As for the wider board ... these guys who insist that they're just TOO damned wide ... seriously? You kidding me? What do they do when they switch from a Lester to a Strat, then an Ibanez, then their acoustic, then a skinny SG profile, then a baseball bat '50s profile? They're wider. So they're gonna feel different. Not WORSE, just different. Of the 70-odd guitars that get love here, there are maybe a dozen with neck dimensions exactly the same as another guitar. Damnit, on my Gibson rack, there are two necks that feel the same as each other. The rest are all different in some way. The Charvel rack is the same .. wide, narrow, fat, thin ... ITS ALL GOOD.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 2015. My Less+ is a great guitar ... I mean, a GREAT guitar. Fretwork is lovely, finish is nice, the NECK is chubby and wholesome, and it sounds killer.

When the stocks of 2015's run out, and they stop getting blown out at stupid money, they'll sell on the used market for about the same as the 2014 stuff. I betcha.

Look ... I paid £8XX for mine ... a fully bound Lester that plays 95% as well as my Custom Shop Axcess, and THAT is a proper top-shelf guitar ... probably one of my three best guitars.

If I had room, I'd be snapping up 2015's faster than I'd climb on top of Cameron Diaz with Pizza and cake for pudding.

I'm done.

Doc out.

Thanks doc!:)

doctorpaul

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
Staff member
Ok, thanks guys! Appreciate all your thoughts...high fives all round!

So, now just need to decide: Classic, or Traditional! :facepalm:
If you're used to playing an N4, then don't discount the Less+ ... lightweight and great access to the dusty end ...

Ok, thanks guys! Appreciate all your thoughts...high fives all round!

So, now just need to decide: Classic, or Traditional! :facepalm:
Well....the main differences are:
Top: Grade BB (Classic) vs A+ (Traditional) - but you can still get a really nice top on a Classic
Controls: 2xVolume + Tone + db boost (Classic) vs 2xVolume + 2xTone (Trad)
Weight relief: Yes (Classic) vs No (Trad) (Gibson states around 0.4lb / 180g difference)
Neck: SlimTaper (Classic) vs Rounded XL (Trad) - i.e. baseball bat, big difference here!
Colours: usual sunbursts in both, plus Seafoam (Classic), Ocean Blue (Trad) and Placid Purple (Trad)
Pickups: 57 open (Classic) vs 59 covered (Trad)

And, of course, the price....the Traditional is a bit more expensive.

If you're used to playing an N4, then don't discount the Less+ ... lightweight and great access to the dusty end ...
If I'd had the choice between a Classic and a Less+ at the bargain prices (almost 50% off), I might have gone for the Less+. My Classic is a hefty beast, weight relief notwithstanding. I took it off the wall last night for a play, having spent a lot of time with my new Jaden recently. It is a fine guitar but I prefer the slimmer necks and bodies of the Jaden and my PRS CU22.

Shredder79

Yeah doctorpaul, I haven't discounted any of them. The one thing that bugs me about the Less+ and the Classic, which is probably stupid, is the mini toggle switch, instead of the usual four knobs. I don't even know why it bugs me...

MrDon

Owner of a heap of shit dentist guitars
If I'd had the choice between a Classic and a Less+ at the bargain prices (almost 50% off), I might have gone for the Less+. My Classic is a hefty beast, weight relief notwithstanding. I took it off the wall last night for a play, having spent a lot of time with my new Jaden recently. It is a fine guitar but I prefer the slimmer necks and bodies of the Jaden and my PRS CU22.
I'll take the Classic and give it a good home :)

Shredder79

Well....the main differences are:
Top: Grade BB (Classic) vs A+ (Traditional) - but you can still get a really nice top on a Classic
Controls: 2xVolume + Tone + db boost (Classic) vs 2xVolume + 2xTone (Trad)
Weight relief: Yes (Classic) vs No (Trad) (Gibson states around 0.4lb / 180g difference)
Neck: SlimTaper (Classic) vs Rounded XL (Trad) - i.e. baseball bat, big difference here!
Colours: usual sunbursts in both, plus Seafoam (Classic), Ocean Blue (Trad) and Placid Purple (Trad)
Pickups: 57 open (Classic) vs 59 covered (Trad)

And, of course, the price....the Traditional is a bit more expensive.

Thanks GloopyJon....I think mostly its gonna come down to which neck profile to go for (and maybe the little switch instead of the tone knob ;) )

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I dont think that Strat is going anywhere mate...

I think I've tried a few years ago. I think MrDon even knows who sold me my Strat Plus neck back in 2014. I guess they sensed I've got Irish blood in me (it's mixed with good old Yorkshire blood for a smooth aftertaste!) and helped me get some Strat Plus goodness when I was still pretty new on here!