Anyone getting a british standard chapman?

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
I don't want to sound like I'm continually trashing Chapman guitars, but the Frank Brothers Guitars start off at only 2.5k if I've got my information correct, and they're supposed to be the absolute shit.

I'd love to read a review from anyone on this forum who has, or has tried, one.

Simon Park

I've never had the money for a custom made guitar, but then I don't need one. I think you'd need to be a proper guitar connoisseur - or at least a proper gigging guitarist - to justify the expense. I'm neither of those. You also have to possess the funds (I do not).

I still like the idea of Chapman custom builds, though. I'd like it to be successful and I'd like to see and hear the results of their custom shop.

ShredRex5150

Man that red ML3 certainly made me take notice and would love one to leave stock and hang on the wall....but not without a lottery win those are crazy big bucks.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
AFAIK Sims is making the British models, hence the price.

This is where Rob said he wanted to take the brand eventually. But I’m not sure that they’ll sell many at £3600. Imo, there is a massive void between their high end Korean made models and the BS stuff. A range around £2000 might have been “safer” to gauge the interest. Having said that, they may have sold a tonne of them already and we would never know.

ScutMonkey

AFAIK Sims is making the British models, hence the price.

This is where Rob said he wanted to take the brand eventually. But I’m not sure that they’ll sell many at £3600. Imo, there is a massive void between their high end Korean made models and the BS stuff. A range around £2000 might have been “safer” to gauge the interest. Having said that, they may have sold a tonne of them already and we would never know.
If you go back a page I link a vid where Rob says they had 30 in a month. Considering they only planned 4-5 it seems they're going to be fine.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
If you go back a page I link a vid where Rob says they had 30 in a month. Considering they only planned 4-5 it seems they're going to be fine.
As @GloopyJon pointed out this is likely to include the initial surge of dealers and stockists ordering demo models. Being realistic, I’d imagine they’re doing a few a month on average now that the dust has settled. It wouldn’t be too hard for me to find out how many Andertons have sold, which would be interesting.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Going by YouTube no one has uploaded a video to say they’re the proud owner of one. I’d have expected at least one independent review by now but again... I’m guessing it’s the price.

ScutMonkey

Going by YouTube no one has uploaded a video to say they’re the proud owner of one. I’d have expected at least one independent review by now but again... I’m guessing it’s the price.
I'm not sure I could bring myself to make public I had one. I don't own a single thing in my house that expensive (unless you include the cars in the garage). My most expensive guitar is $450 brand new.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
I'm not sure I could bring myself to make public I had one. I don't own a single thing in my house that expensive (unless you include the cars in the garage). My most expensive guitar is $450 brand new.
I was going more for a YouTuber who makes his money in the music business. But even branching out from that there still isn’t anyone willing to post a video. Plenty of youtubers document and show off their high end or vintage gear. I wouldn’t have thought anyone would be scared to show off a British made Chapman.

ScutMonkey

I was going more for a YouTuber who makes his money in the music business. But even branching out from that there still isn’t anyone willing to post a video. Plenty of youtubers document and show off their high end or vintage gear. I wouldn’t have thought anyone would be scared to show off a British made Chapman.
No, probably not, but you know if they do their going to hear a litany of "YOU'RE INSANE! YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A PRS FOR THAT PRICE. THERE IS NO WAY A CHAPMAN IS WORTH THAT MUCH MONEY." Whoever admits to buying one IS going to get flamed to hell and back.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
No, probably not, but you know if they do their going to hear a litany of "YOU'RE INSANE! YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A PRS FOR THAT PRICE. THERE IS NO WAY A CHAPMAN IS WORTH THAT MUCH MONEY." Whoever admits to buying one IS going to get flamed to hell and back.
Probably so. I’d totally agree. From a business sense it is a quite a jump from what they’re currently doing. £1100 or so up to £3500. There’s at least one price tier in their that could have been utilitised but I would imagine that they are happy with their price scaling. Obviously their business model doesn’t require my input ;)

ScutMonkey

Probably so. I’d totally agree. From a business sense it is a quite a jump from what they’re currently doing. £1100 or so up to £3500. There’s at least one price tier in their that could have been utilitised but I would imagine that they are happy with their price scaling. Obviously their business model doesn’t require my input ;)
Hitting all the price points wasn't their goal, though. It was to produce a British hand made guitar. I don't really think they had any choice other than to price it there if that's the prerequisite.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Hitting all the price points wasn't their goal, though. It was to produce a British hand made guitar. I don't really think they had any choice other than to price it there if that's the prerequisite.
It’s more than likely priced like that because Sims isn’t cheap to begin with.

£3500 - vat (20%) - materials - labour - overheads etc leaves a strange amount of money to split between Chapman and Sims. I suspect Sims are making the guitars because they’re the only UK builder that can handle any potential workload.

But anyway, I don’t think they’ll move enough to shake the foundations. At the same time I’m sure they’re selling just enough to keep both parties happy. The main focus will still be on the Korean models id say.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
I can't take Sims seriously. Their website looks as though it hasn't been updated since 1999, and the "about us" section (probably the most important part of any website belonging to a small unknown company) contains more spelling and grammatical errors than your average email from a Nigerian prince.

You may think this is petty, but this is their shop front. If this is how they approach their marketing, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with them.

I'm sorry to keep banging on about Patrick Eggle, but he's a perfect example of why these guitars are a ridiculous vanity project. The base price of most Eggles is £2,800, with £3,500 being the ceiling for a very nicely specced custom. His guitars have scored 10/10 twice in Guitar Magazine reviews (or Guitarist, I can't remember without digging through my shelf), and 9/10 for most of the rest.

A shiny Chapman is still just a Chapman.