Anyone getting a british standard chapman?

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
They look nice, but for that money I can have 2-3 guitars built to my exact specs whereas with these British Chapman I will probably find something I will want to modify.
On this note...

Let's not forget that these aren't factory models that are identical. Each one is customized for the owner.
I doubt you'd find something you want to modify, since the instrument in question would be hand-built to your specifications. So unless you spec'd it wrong, you'd be happy with it, basically.
They listed pretty much everything under the sun that you could modify, so the "base" that you start with is pretty much just... "Ghost-Fret Shape" or "ML-1 Shape" or whatever.
From there, you can get it customized, down to the woods, the neck shape, color/finish style (burst, solid, etc. in Nitro), Stainless Steel Frets, or not, I supposed, if you don't like SS, etc, etc.
They ARE a fully-customized instrument, not just a neat thing made in Britain that you may have to modify.

Though, understandable that the "Standard" part of the name "British Standard" makes people think they aren't customized, and the fact that only 4(?) have been shown off by the Chapman folks, so far.
I think the "Standard" is meant in the much more traditional sense of "setting the bar" or "the one to beat for the British market", but still.

doctorpaul

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
Staff member
To be fair, bottled water is still stupid and dangerous—with respect to the developed world.
If you ever make it to central London and stay overnight in a hotel, I challenge you to drink the tap water.
I’d prefer to take my chances with a few billion plastic particles rather than spending a few days sitting on a toilet ...

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
If you ever make it to central London and stay overnight in a hotel, I challenge you to drink the tap water.
I’d prefer to take my chances with a few billion plastic particles rather than spending a few days sitting on a toilet ...
It is a fair cop: I should have written “the bottled water industry (as it has existed for about 20 years now).” Then again, maybe the UK is not stupid enough to allow private business to bottle and sell water taken from public water supplies.

Chu

True, but the cheap ones are no longer Korean made. They are Indonesian, which is good, but the Korean ones are just so much better. When the first Korean run came out, you could get an ML-1 for under €400.
Everything coming out of World Musical Instrument Co. has shot up in price. For a number of reasons, but one would be due to having such a good reputation that they can demand a price that works for them and their employees.

Last edited:

Simon Park

Fair enough. I think what I would like to see is the usual line of guitars plus a bare bones, not painted, no hardware, minimal fretwork type deal for around £200 - £250. Cut out some of the production to save on cost and sell it as a guitar to modify. I know it's not realistic, it would be a very niché product and not worth it but I always liked the idea since the first time I stripped a guitar body! :D
This sort of feel/vibe/whatever was what initially attracted me to the Hot Rod. The fact that it looks like it's had the bare minimum done to it was part of the appeal (to me). I understand what you mean, I think.

At the 1:25 mark Rob says he's surprised by how many they are selling. 30 last month. Rob sells things. No doubt about it.
From what he said, though, these 30 orders are probably shops ordering one or two as display models. Whether they will manage to sell them to the punters is another question. I am sure that some will sell, but it's quite possible that some will remain as display models - i.e. the cream della cream of their Chapman display - for some time. Anyway....good on them for selling a load of them and bringing some work to British luthiers!

He also says they are the largest guitar company in Europe. Does that mean Chapman outsells Thomann's house brand?
Well....Thomann isn't a guitar company, it's a music retailer. I suspect that he's not thinking about Harley Benton when he says that. There again, Chapman guitars are sold by many more retailers than Harley Bentons, so it could be true anyway - it's been some years since we heard figures for the numbers of guitars sold, and in the meantime Chappers has clearly become significantly wealthier.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
Well....Thomann isn't a guitar company, it's a music retailer. I suspect that he's not thinking about Harley Benton when he says that. There again, Chapman guitars are sold by many more retailers than Harley Bentons, so it could be true anyway - it's been some years since we heard figures for the numbers of guitars sold, and in the meantime Chappers has clearly become significantly wealthier.
I don't know that it proves anything, but just to get an idea of reach, I searched both Chapman and Harley Benton on Reverb (just in electric guitars). Chapman returned 30 results (31, but I'm excluding the one Chapman stick results, of course) and HB returned 10. So, I would assume Chapman currently has a bit futher reach than HB.

ScutMonkey

He also says they are the largest guitar company in Europe. Does that mean Chapman outsells Thomann's house brand?
Considering the only outlet for Harley Benton is Thomann, I don't think it's out of the question Chapman outsells them. It's hard enough for me to consider something from Riff City which is in the States. I just can't bring myself to buy something from another continent.

SemiCullen

Considering the only outlet for Harley Benton is Thomann, I don't think it's out of the question Chapman outsells them. It's hard enough for me to consider something from Riff City which is in the States. I just can't bring myself to buy something from another continent.
I bought an HB Vintage 1x12. It survived the journey in good shape (and shipping was only like $35). I don't know how I'd feel about getting a guitar shipped from there, though.

ScutMonkey

I bought an HB Vintage 1x12. It survived the journey in good shape (and shipping was only like $35). I don't know how I'd feel about getting a guitar shipped from there, though.
My issue is, what if I don't like it? Or it's a disaster? If I get a mail order guitar from Guitar Center in the states, I don't have to ship it back. I just take it to the local GC, get my money back, and wipe my hands of it.

And I've been VERY tempted by the Harley Benton vertical 2x12 with the Celestions in it.

SemiCullen

My issue is, what if I don't like it? Or it's a disaster? If I get a mail order guitar from Guitar Center in the states, I don't have to ship it back. I just take it to the local GC, get my money back, and wipe my hands of it.

And I've been VERY tempted by the Harley Benton vertical 2x12 with the Celestions in it.
I love the 1x12 and kind of wish I'd just gotten the 2x12 instead. You can't find a new Vintage 30-loaded 2x12 within $200 of the HB's price - shipped!

I doubt whether any of them have hit the retail stores yet. You'd expect Anderton's to be the first place that gets them, and on their website they have four models of British Standards, with expected delivery dates of 31 October.