Anyone getting a british standard chapman?

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I came close to ordering one, but there was no way to do so yet, and then every time I considered the potential cost, I kept looking at PRS and Music Man and Fender, and thinking "Hmm... but REEEALLY now... is it THAT good..? Or should I just try to go to Jaden, like a wise man?"

I don't think they've sold any yet, because simply, I could not find a way to purchase one, even when I was considering it.

Tankman

They look nice, but for that money I can have 2-3 guitars built to my exact specs whereas with these British Chapman I will probably find something I will want to modify.

doctorpaul

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
Staff member
Who is building them?
£3500 is VERY tall cheddar.
I’ve dropped that much before, but they’ve been ... like ... legendary Guitars.
Jaden, Jaydee, Stormshadow, GMW ... would all be a cheaper route to greatness.

They looked nice but you can get nicer guitars for less money from many luthiers, or from PRS / Gibson / Schecter et al. I have three regular Chapmans - an ML-2, and early versions of the MLB-1 and the Ghost Fret - and that's probably more than enough for me TBH. The bass is my regular player, but I wouldn't really miss the guitars (I played my ML-2 the night before last - it's perfectly good, just not my favourite).

I don't mean to cast aspersions on the British Standard guitars - which none of us have seen physically so we can't comment on their quality - or on anybody who buys one. If they do, I hope they will be happy with it. I tend to think that they will go to people for whom 3.5 grand is a negligible amount and who fancy something different from the main brands to add to their collections, and I don't think anybody on this forum falls into that category.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if they sell many of them, but good luck to Chapman Guitars for pushing the boundaries of their product line-up. I'll be interested to see what they come up with next - I wouldn't be surprised if they return to the low-mid sector that they abandoned with the present lines.

sparrowsblade

New Image New Perspective
Yeah it would have to be someone who thinks nothing of the best part of 4 grand. Someone you has exotic sports cars etc.... and has millions in the bank. Most peoples ashtray money is a fiver for emergencies this fella will have a few thousand stashed in the car haha

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
They looked nice but you can get nicer guitars for less money from many luthiers, or from PRS / Gibson / Schecter et al. I have three regular Chapmans - an ML-2, and early versions of the MLB-1 and the Ghost Fret - and that's probably more than enough for me TBH. The bass is my regular player, but I wouldn't really miss the guitars (I played my ML-2 the night before last - it's perfectly good, just not my favourite).

I don't mean to cast aspersions on the British Standard guitars - which none of us have seen physically so we can't comment on their quality - or on anybody who buys one. If they do, I hope they will be happy with it. I tend to think that they will go to people for whom 3.5 grand is a negligible amount and who fancy something different from the main brands to add to their collections, and I don't think anybody on this forum falls into that category.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if they sell many of them, but good luck to Chapman Guitars for pushing the boundaries of their product line-up. I'll be interested to see what they come up with next - I wouldn't be surprised if they return to the low-mid sector that they abandoned with the present lines.
I hope they do go back to the low-mid sector too, I miss that initial good modifying base vibe they used to have. I still say they should be doing "bare bones" versions.

Tankman

I hope they do go back to the low-mid sector too, I miss that initial good modifying base vibe they used to have. I still say they should be doing "bare bones" versions.
Yes! But I can also understand that if your brand is getting as big as CG is, at some point most of your customers don't know the backstory anymore. If then have to pay €600 for a bare bones guitar you need to upgrade, or add €100 to that and get a different guitar with the upgrades, they choise will fall on the other brand. You need to compete and thus offer complete guitars that don't need upgrading. Of course, being the guitar players we are, we will upgrade anyway.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Yes! But I can also understand that if your brand is getting as big as CG is, at some point most of your customers don't know the backstory anymore. If then have to pay €600 for a bare bones guitar you need to upgrade, or add €100 to that and get a different guitar with the upgrades, they choise will fall on the other brand. You need to compete and thus offer complete guitars that don't need upgrading. Of course, being the guitar players we are, we will upgrade anyway.
Fair enough. I think what I would like to see is the usual line of guitars plus a bare bones, not painted, no hardware, minimal fretwork type deal for around £200 - £250. Cut out some of the production to save on cost and sell it as a guitar to modify. I know it's not realistic, it would be a very niché product and not worth it but I always liked the idea since the first time I stripped a guitar body! :D

Actually, having checked, the current range starts at £399 (on Anderton's, excluding B-stock guitars). I thought they were more expensive. That's not too bad - they could doubtless source some cheaper guitars, but the quality would probably go down quite sharply.

Tankman

Fair enough. I think what I would like to see is the usual line of guitars plus a bare bones, not painted, no hardware, minimal fretwork type deal for around £200 - £250. Cut out some of the production to save on cost and sell it as a guitar to modify. I know it's not realistic, it would be a very niché product and not worth it but I always liked the idea since the first time I stripped a guitar body! :D
I like that and that also what I liked about the original Korean run Chapmans. Good quality guitars for a relatively low price which I can upgrade the crap out of. Chapman Guitars have grown past that. Good for them. My personal taste in guitars has also changed. Good for me. Oh well.

Tankman

Actually, having checked, the current range starts at £399 (on Anderton's, excluding B-stock guitars). I thought they were more expensive. That's not too bad - they could doubtless source some cheaper guitars, but the quality would probably go down quite sharply.
True, but the cheap ones are no longer Korean made. They are Indonesian, which is good, but the Korean ones are just so much better. When the first Korean run came out, you could get an ML-1 for under €400.

ScutMonkey

See, that's how I look at the introductory line. It's a $400-$450 mod platform. I've already replaced the pickups in two of mine. Their "inexpensive," they look nice, etc...

On a side note, I can remember a time in my life where I was so broke I was offended people paid money for water. Now I'm calling a $400 guitar inexpensive. Crazy world.