Anyone else having problems with Chapman guitars?

ScutMonkey

Needs to be perfect for £1200
That's a Bea Sig in those pictures so its $1200.

To the original poster, I'd send it back to GC and order one from Riff City Guitar. Call them when you order it and tell them all the problems you had and that you want to make sure you don't get one like that. They inspect everything they send out and do a free setup. This was the deal Chapman made with retailers and is the problem with the Guitar Center deal. All of the non-GC dealers were obligated to sort through quality control and remove bad ones. In return they got higher margins on sales. Riff City lives up to this.

ShredRex5150

Yeah given the problems you are having with that Bea sig I would be returning it. I mean that is a lot of money to not be happy and having the issues you are experiencing. Either play the replacement if possible or get a dealer like Riff City to do a once over before it goes out the door.

I have briefly played a Bea ML3 and I was shocked how great it played and sounded. You should feel the same with yours and not accept anything less.

Just my 2 cents

mirage2101

I can't imagine a guitar of that price being build wrong. Especially not twice. But...
If you don't like the guitar cut your losses and return it. I've played really expensive guitars that people rave about online but I just don't like them. On the other hand I have a guitar that's universally hated that I do love. No accounting for taste..
And this is why I never buy a guitar without trying.

That's a Bea Sig in those pictures so its $1200.

To the original poster, I'd send it back to GC and order one from Riff City Guitar. Call them when you order it and tell them all the problems you had and that you want to make sure you don't get one like that. They inspect everything they send out and do a free setup. This was the deal Chapman made with retailers and is the problem with the Guitar Center deal. All of the non-GC dealers were obligated to sort through quality control and remove bad ones. In return they got higher margins on sales. Riff City lives up to this.
That’s probably the best idea, but I’d rather not bother GC again honestly. They’re the only good music store near me and the last person I want to be is the kid who keeps having problems and keeps returning things. I also really don’t want to have to wait even longer to play this guitar, and when I got it the second time after it had problems I had thought it was fine so I’ve already told them everything was working fine, that was almost 3 weeks ago now.

I can't imagine a guitar of that price being build wrong. Especially not twice. But...
If you don't like the guitar cut your losses and return it. I've played really expensive guitars that people rave about online but I just don't like them. On the other hand I have a guitar that's universally hated that I do love. No accounting for taste..
And this is why I never buy a guitar without trying.
I really like the guitar, I just really don’t like the problems. But they aren’t too bad, just kind of annoying for a $1300 guitar.

mirage2101

There was a post on reddit yesterday detailing very comparable problems. Along with a link to a youtube reviewer pretty much saying the same thing. Guitar center doesn't check the guitars while some other retailers check, fix/send back the problem cases. So you're not unique.

I have to say this'd anoy me tremendously if I'd just bought a guitar for that price.

If you want to read..
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/ajixfg
I don't think it's reasonable for a guitar brand to expect the stores to do QC instead of doing it themselves.

ScutMonkey

That’s probably the best idea, but I’d rather not bother GC again honestly. They’re the only good music store near me and the last person I want to be is the kid who keeps having problems and keeps returning things. I also really don’t want to have to wait even longer to play this guitar, and when I got it the second time after it had problems I had thought it was fine so I’ve already told them everything was working fine, that was almost 3 weeks ago now.
NO!

1. You just spent $1300 with GC. Part of what you've paid for is the ability to take it back and get what you want. You are entitled to this service.
2. GC runs through employees like water. You'll go back next year and a whole new set of dudes will be working there who do not remember you.

I know it sucks and you want the guitar now, but I'm telling you if you don't return this guitar you won't learn to live with it. You'll stop playing it or stop playing all together. And every player who's played for more than a couple years will tell you one of those two things is going to happen.

mirage2101

NO!

1. You just spent $1300 with GC. Part of what you've paid for is the ability to take it back and get what you want. You are entitled to this server.
2. GC runs through employees like water. You'll go back next year and a whole new set of dudes will be working there who do not remember you.

I know it sucks and you want the guitar now, but I'm telling you if you don't return this guitar you won't learn to live with it. You'll stop playing it or stop playing all together. And every player who's played for more than a couple years will tell you one of those two things is going to happen.
Please listen to this. If you don't love your guitar in the first 3 weeks (or day) you'll never love it.
use that return policy!

ScutMonkey

I don't think it's reasonable for a guitar brand to expect the stores to do QC instead of doing it themselves.
It depends on the business model. Riff City gets a bigger margin on Chapman than they do on other brands so it makes sense for them. They are already doing the service anyway, so take the money and run.

Also, look at what Ola Englund has to do to make Solar guitars work by doing the QC himself. It's brutal and it's completely hampered his ability to roll the brand out to anyone other than Thomann. He's fine with it because he's a control freak and he'd rather grow slow, but you have to go in knowing that you are severely limiting your potential if you do it that way. It's always risk/reward.

mirage2101

It depends on the business model. Riff City gets a bigger margin on Chapman than they do on other brands so it makes sense for them. They are already doing the service anyway, so take the money and run.

Also, look at what Ola Englund has to do to make Solar guitars work by doing the QC himself. It's brutal and it's completely hampered his ability to roll the brand out to anyone other than Thomann. He's fine with it because he's a control freak and he'd rather grow slow, but you have to go in knowing that you are severely limiting your potential if you do it that way. It's always risk/reward.
A store is welcome to charge for it. That's all fine.

But if the percentage of faulty guitars is too high AND you're selling through a store that doesn't do QC your brand hurts. If you want to sell through GC your percentage should be under X. Suppose a 2 minute check can cut the percentage from 10% to 5%. that solves a LOT of issues. And 2 minutes is quite long to check a guitar unless you want to plug it in. And honestly I think for a $1200 guitar some of the mistakes mentioned shouldn't make it to the customer.

I also own a Bea, and I've had similar problems. I'm taking it to Guitar Center and they're going to fix it since Chapman has a One Year warranty. It really shouldn't happen though, and it's kind of turned me off of buying another one for a while until they sort these issues out
I didn’t know Chapman has a one year warranty, in that case I’ll definitely ask if the tech at GC can fix the problems. I’d be willing to bet it’s just some wiring issues, at least I hope.

S
There was a post on reddit yesterday detailing very comparable problems. Along with a link to a youtube reviewer pretty much saying the same thing. Guitar center doesn't check the guitars while some other retailers check, fix/send back the problem cases. So you're not unique.

I have to say this'd anoy me tremendously if I'd just bought a guitar for that price.

If you want to read..
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/ajixfg
Sounds like that guys problems were WAY worse than mine. That’s pretty ridiculous honestly, but my problems aren’t NEARLY as bad as that

NO!

1. You just spent $1300 with GC. Part of what you've paid for is the ability to take it back and get what you want. You are entitled to this service.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this guitar! I still love to play it, it’s jsut got some small problems that annoy me, but I will take it to GC to have them look at it, but I’m not gonna get another replacement. And the GC near me hasn’t had many employee changes over the past few years, and even then they’re super nice. (Which just means I’m not gonna be an asshole when it comes to getting this problem sorted out.)

Do you think they would swap out the neck pickup if I showed them that this one was having problems?

I've had no problems with my ML1 Pro at all I bought it at Riff City I will never buy anything from Guitar Center ever again I bought a KH2 LTD/ESP left handed and when I got the guitar it had a right handed tremolo bar on the guitar I sent it back and bought the same guitar at Muscians Friend with no problems