Any love for amp modelling?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Kahuna Nui, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Kahuna Nui

Kahuna Nui The Big Kahuna

I know a few of you use GR/Amplitube/TH3 etc, but I somehow thought it'd be popular enough to get a sub-forum.

bad alice likes this.
  2. doctorpaul

doctorpaul Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. Staff Member

We have threads on the Helix and the Kemper ...
    Personally, good tone is good tone.
    I don't care if it's electrons being smashed around in a vacuum or millions of 1s and 0s.
    If it sounds good, I'm happy to play it.

DrHankWanfordSnr and bad alice like this.
  3. Kahuna Nui

Helix and Kemper are standalone devices though, I'm thinking specifically of PC (or Mac) based software modelling solutions.

4. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer On the edge of breakup

Helix will soon be released as a plugin.

I haven't really heard any software-based amp modelling that sounded on par with Kemper, Atomic or Axe Fx (owning the latter). I'm looking forward to try out the Helix plugin.

bad alice likes this.
  5. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

The only software modeling I have is what comes with Logic Pro X and I've not used it a lot. The short time I did spend with it wasn't all that great. I've used my Pod HD500 to good effect on recordings though. The producer we had on a recording session we did looked at me as if I wanted to plug into a cheese sandwich when he saw the Pod but I told him to pipe the sound through to his monitors and listen before saying anything else. He was very surprised and was actually pleased at the sound we were getting. Spend a bit if time with your patches and they will reward you.

bad alice and Sustainerplayer like this.
  6. doctorpaul

I'm in ... I used an HD500 for a good while, and got pretty much every tone I wanted out of it.

Sustainerplayer and Wade Garrett like this.
  7. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

Considering you can pick them up for about £130ish these days you can't go wrong. Great units.

Sustainerplayer likes this.
  8. doctorpaul

I agree. Although mine is for sale :)

Wade Garrett and Sustainerplayer like this.
  9. Wuzza

Wuzza long time lurker

On the floor, triumphantly holding a bottle of red
    I've used the line 6 one, and currently have... erm, checks, Bias.

Bias is pretty good, but it's a pain the way it integrates into the DAW I use, so I just find it easier to plug in the GT100 to record stuff.
    Podfarm was good, but I found I had option paralysis and spent more time playing with sounds than actually playing.
    DSL5 for jamming, GT100 for recording, JVM for Sunday best. :)

10. DrKarnivore

DrKarnivore Browsing your web and SMS history Staff Member

DrHankWanfordSnr likes this.
  11. Kahuna Nui

I think the modelling software really comes alive when used with decent cabinet IR's

ChrisACT likes this.
  12. DrKarnivore

DrKarnivore Browsing your web and SMS history Staff Member

I use recabinet. To be fair loads of the free ones I`ve used sound good, I`d A/B them with a mic`ed cab for recording anyday,

13. ChrisACT

ChrisACT Well-Known Member

I used to use Guitar Rig 5.0 as my main rig. DI into the PA running my own wedges for foldback I was happy with it. Then I bought a Helix which sounds a LOT better. Still have no gas for real amps.

14. Marklikestea

Marklikestea But prefers coffee

I had a HD500, spent way too much time fiddling for tones rather than playing, much happier with my pedals.

15. ChrisACT

ChrisACT Well-Known Member

Yep, it does make a massive difference. At least half the tone is in the speakers with a real amp. Why would it be any different with a fake one?

Sustainerplayer likes this.
  16. Chu

Chu Well-Known Member

I've been using Amplitube for ages. I have go-to rigs on them, basic stuff but the standard pack was very good for some stuff and the 5150 type amp on the metal pack was incredibly versatile. To be honest, I've reamped with my Kemper but the 5150 mentioned usually gets left in the mix even if it doesn't sound much like a Peavey.

I tend to concentrate on getting the dry tracks right first and am happy to use any old shite whilst tracking. I'll then bung on a something ok from Amplitube. Once the tracks are layered, mixed and mastered, I find that they're plenty good enough.

My style is more wall of sound than one exemplary guitar tone so maybe that explains it but I tend to find that guitar tone comes down on the list of priorities for me.

17. Stevethulhu

Stevethulhu The Riffgrinder General

I've got JamupPro and I've upgraded to an iRig HD. Love that stuff. It's easy to use, sounds pretty good to my ears and with a bit of help from a Behringer U-Phoria UM-2, makes recording at reasonable volumes a piece of cake.

18. DrHankWanfordSnr

DrHankWanfordSnr That's not new, its always been there.

Big fan.

I've used Guitar Rig from Native Instruments for a long time. I've been using Amplitube alot more for the last few years though (don't like the interface but do like the sound). When used as a plugin in a DAW - they are brilliant at getting multiple bites at a tone after you've played something.

The quality of the amp/speakers you play them through probably has a big effect on the sound. dude playing amplitube out through their guitar amp or the teeny speaker on a laptop/monitor are likely to be put off, similarly - if you don't uses a usb audio interface - relying on your pc to do all of the ADA then the latency is again likely to put you off. Both of these issues put off a chum of mine when i first tried to get him into amp sims.

I'm really looking forward to the Helix Native plugin.

Sustainerplayer and Chu like this.