Any experience with using OD pedals with the MOOER Preamp Live?

I’m looking to upgrade my rig. My current plan is to go [guitar] -> [pedalboard] -> [HK TubeMeister 18] -FX send-> [remaining effects pedals] -> [MOOER Radar cab sim] -> [headphones / recording interface / power amp / PA]. In this scenario, the upgrade would be to replace my old practice amp with the TubeMeister and the Radar. Note that the TubeMeister has a power soak setting, so I don't have to connect a cab to it. The pedalboard, among other effects, includes / will eventually include several OD/distortion pedals like an Angry Charlie, a BluesDriver, a TubeScreamer, etc.

I’m really happy with that plan, but then I’ve come across the MOOER Preamp Live. It comes with (I think) the entire functionality of the Radar already included. So, the setup would then be [guitar] -> [pedalboard] -> [MOOER Preamp Live (remaining pedals in FX loop)] -> [headphones / recording interface / power amp / PA]. It sounds like a compact, low-maintenance solution, that would work great for bedroom practice, as well as for gigs. The only thing that bothers me about this is that modeling amps have a reputation of not always reacting well to OD pedals.

Does anyone have any experience with using OD pedals into the MOOER Preamp Live, both on clean and on distorted presets? Is it comparable to using them with a proper tube amp? Or do you think I would be better off just getting the TubeMeister and the Radar?

mirage2101

I don't have personal experience with the preamp live.
For better or for worse it's a modeller. Now that isn't inherently bad, the katana is a modeller and feels great.
Then again so is the pod500 and that doesn't feel at all. (sounds fine mind you)

The best advice I can give you is to give both a shot at a store. If the mooer feels and sounds good, well you're done. If it doesn't you're stuck at the same place as a lot of us.. Do you go helix? That's great for sure.. Do you go katana? With the footswitch I'd be happy to gig with it. There are enough pedals build in to get the sound you need to gig.
Or do you say no, I want tubes and a proper angry charlie etc? Go for it but realize your audience won't hear the difference.

As signed by an owner of a katana head and two tube amps just to play mostly at home ;-)

I don't have personal experience with the preamp live.
For better or for worse it's a modeller. Now that isn't inherently bad, the katana is a modeller and feels great.
Then again so is the pod500 and that doesn't feel at all. (sounds fine mind you)

The best advice I can give you is to give both a shot at a store. If the mooer feels and sounds good, well you're done. If it doesn't you're stuck at the same place as a lot of us.. Do you go helix? That's great for sure.. Do you go katana? With the footswitch I'd be happy to gig with it. There are enough pedals build in to get the sound you need to gig.
Or do you say no, I want tubes and a proper angry charlie etc? Go for it but realize your audience won't hear the difference.

As signed by an owner of a katana head and two tube amps just to play mostly at home ;-)
Cool, thanks for the advice! I found a store that has most of what I want to try out in stock, so I'll just go down there and give it a go. You're probably right about the audience not hearing the difference, but since I mostly play for myself, I'm just looking for something I like personally =).