Amp options (Marshall gas)

Wuzza

long time lurker
Yes I posted one of these last year, but my needs wants have changed..
Lazing in bed yesterday morning I was looking at Tony Mckenzie's site, and saw he mentioned that TSL's can be picked up fairly cheap. Not wanting to rise just yet due to El vino the night before, I headed off to ebay to have a cursery glance. Turns out there's a TSL 602 up on there locally (how often does that happen) for (currently) £250. Described as mint and looks pretty good from the pics.

The chap was out so I couldn't get to look at it, but did end up going to a local store and tried out a DSL40C. (With a PRS SE)

Holy shitballs, the crunch on these things is the thing of dreams :eek: , and the clean is suprisingly sweet as well.

I'm still tempted by the TSL, but what other options should I look at?

"Ideally" I'd want just the clean/crunch from the DSL (just a two channel amp) so I can use my GT100 to flip channels. While the lead channel sounds good for lead, I can't see me using it as a second channel.
My local store has an Orange TH30c I'd be able to try out, which would suit the switching needs better, and also has the 30/15/7 step down, which would be really handy at home. (Although the TSL does have a master volume) This would also be at the top end of budget.
I'd be looking to play from 80's pop, 90's indie, through to a bit of hair metal.

Should I just jump on the TSL? (Ends tomorrow) Other options? I don't want to jump into something I'll regret, but, fuck me, that Marshall crunch..........:dance:
(I could probably sell my Classic 30 to cover the TSL)

Arrrrggghhh... excited and dubious.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Yes I posted one of these last year, but my needs wants have changed..
Lazing in bed yesterday morning I was looking at Tony Mckenzie's site, and saw he mentioned that TSL's can be picked up fairly cheap. Not wanting to rise just yet due to El vino the night before, I headed off to ebay to have a cursery glance. Turns out there's a TSL 602 up on there locally (how often does that happen) for (currently) £250. Described as mint and looks pretty good from the pics.

The chap was out so I couldn't get to look at it, but did end up going to a local store and tried out a DSL40C. (With a PRS SE)

Holy shitballs, the crunch on these things is the thing of dreams :eek: , and the clean is suprisingly sweet as well.

I'm still tempted by the TSL, but what other options should I look at?

"Ideally" I'd want just the clean/crunch from the DSL (just a two channel amp) so I can use my GT100 to flip channels. While the lead channel sounds good for lead, I can't see me using it as a second channel.
My local store has an Orange TH30c I'd be able to try out, which would suit the switching needs better, and also has the 30/15/7 step down, which would be really handy at home. (Although the TSL does have a master volume) This would also be at the top end of budget.
I'd be looking to play from 80's pop, 90's indie, through to a bit of hair metal.

Should I just jump on the TSL? (Ends tomorrow) Other options? I don't want to jump into something I'll regret, but, fuck me, that Marshall crunch..........:dance:
(I could probably sell my Classic 30 to cover the TSL)

Arrrrggghhh... excited and dubious.

I'm good "pen" friends with Tony and he's invited me to come up to his and film some gear reviews with him. He wants to do an inside out on my Marshall Silver Jubilee, Gibson Les Paul Studio and most ironically for me is my Blue Strat. It was watching Tony's build videos that inspired me to build the Blue Strat and he's really keen to show his viewers that it's possible for anyone to make a great guitar with the right parts and resources.

Some people may not like his style, but I really have a great deal of time for the guy. He's been a really good person of support over the last 18 months that we've been exchanging emails, with my health problems. He even helped me to write a letter of complaint about how I was being let down by a large number of medical and admin staff with the pain team and helped me fight to get my back operation done last year.

I have first hand experience with the JCM2000 DSL 401C, which is the original UK built version now rebadged as the DSL 40C. You can get a very good conditioned and usually in a limited edition colour DSL 401C for £300 and under. They have a few minor differences between the DSL 40C, but I can tell you now that I was happy to hold onto my DSL 401C if it was not for having the opportunity to get my Silver Jubilee 2555X reissue head (and the Silverback cab). I actually think the DSL can manage to make some of the killer tones the mighty Silver Jubilee makes. The DSL 401C and the DSL40C also offer great platforms to mod from. On the Marshall forum, they go fucking nuts for the DSL 40C and it seems to be the most popular amp. (I actually think a lot of the twats who claim to have some of the more famous amps only have the DSL40C, which is why it's untouchable to negative opinion by many of them). The DSL 401C had a factory mod done around 2005 which improved cooling issues. Mine was a 2001 model and it was fine.

One thing to note, I think Sensei once said that the TSL has been known to have a few reliability problems over the years. doctorpaul , am I correct about this dude?

Dj_host

Out To Lunch. Missing, presumed fed
I'm good "pen" friends with Tony and he's invited me to come up to his and film some gear reviews with him. He wants to do an inside out on my Marshall Silver Jubilee, Gibson Les Paul Studio and most ironically for me is my Blue Strat. It was watching Tony's build videos that inspired me to build the Blue Strat and he's really keen to show his viewers that it's possible for anyone to make a great guitar with the right parts and resources.

Some people may not like his style, but I really have a great deal of time for the guy. He's been a really good person of support over the last 18 months that we've been exchanging emails, with my health problems. He even helped me to write a letter of complaint about how I was being let down by a large number of medical and admin staff with the pain team and helped me fight to get my back operation done last year.

I have first hand experience with the JCM2000 DSL 401C, which is the original UK built version now rebadged as the DSL 40C. You can get a very good conditioned and usually in a limited edition colour DSL 401C for £300 and under. They have a few minor differences between the DSL 40C, but I can tell you now that I was happy to hold onto my DSL 401C if it was not for having the opportunity to get my Silver Jubilee 2555X reissue head (and the Silverback cab). I actually think the DSL can manage to make some of the killer tones the mighty Silver Jubilee makes. The DSL 401C and the DSL40C also offer great platforms to mod from. On the Marshall forum, they go fucking nuts for the DSL 40C and it seems to be the most popular amp. (I actually think a lot of the twats who claim to have some of the more famous amps only have the DSL40C, which is why it's untouchable to negative opinion by many of them). The DSL 401C had a factory mod done around 2005 which improved cooling issues. Mine was a 2001 model and it was fine.

One thing to note, I think Sensei once said that the TSL has been known to have a few reliability problems over the years. doctorpaul , am I correct about this dude?
As posted above, the issues with the DSL/TSL's tend to be with the 100 watt models. Oh, and the DSL40C is a different beast to the 401. It's Chinese for a start, IIRC...

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Wuzza
I'm loving my TSL(601) - LOVING it!
I wasn't able (ankle) to get out there and do the DSL/TSL comparison thing.
But, from extensive interweb reading and YouTube listening my conclusion is that it's Pepsi/Coke kinda deal.
The 3 channels on the TSL give me all the cleans, sweet-sweeeeeet-responsive crunch and searing leads that I could ask of any Marshall so WIN. Plus...I can set the reverb to different levels for the clean and RAAARRRGH channels which is something I beginning to really enjoy.
The bit that sealed the deal for my TSL was that it came with the 5 button footswitch. That's quite a game changer in the way you'll be able to utilise the reverb, effects loop and, of course, switching seamlessly between those tasty channels.
So, if this is "the one" - and it sounds like a excellent price too - find out if the f/switch is included.
And if not?
I'd strongly recommend picking one up somewhere (eBay?) if you can.
And, with regards to the rumours of epoxy on the circuit boards causing overheating?
It can happen to both the DSL and TSL but is a much rarer occurrence than you might be led to believe.
I have Dj_host, Tom Mulraney (Hoffnine) and Dennis Marshall to thank for for that particular insight.:)
Nuts and bolts?
It's a f**king badass MARSHALL!
You know what to do...
:)

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Yeah it was the 100w TSL Hosty, sorry your post happened when I was still typing my reply out.

The DSL 40C is made in Vietnam. There are some differences (which Roberto listed on another thread), but they are similar enough, as the DSL40C is more of an evolution on the JCM DSL401. Both are great amps, but price wise and just how easy it is to get one, the DSL 401C makes more sense to many people looking at the secondhand market.

bad alice , I didn't know you had joined the Marshall fold Suzi! You've really moved up the food chain by getting such a beastly rig. One you go Marshall, most other amps just pale in comparison. I really like the tones those amps give and just how affordable they are to own. If I hadn't watched a ton of review videos of my model of amp, I would have never bothered getting rid of my DSL. I guess the TSL has the same tones and trust me when I say you are getting some of the same magic my current rig produces. Even though you and I are big Strat lovers, you HAVE to run a proper Gibson Les Paul through a Marshall at some point. It's the sound that many of us on these forums all desire to produce at some point in our lives. Just strum an A and D chord on the orange channel and you have arena rock levels of win!

Wuzza

long time lurker
Well, I was expecting a glowing review from you bad alice! :p

Have you used your POD through it yet? I can see it's got a parallel effects loop, which I had no idea what they were until about 10 mins ago! :( I'm still not sure if it's suited to a MFX unit?
I wasn't looking for a new amp, but TBH, for the price I may just jump on it.

I've read the horror stories on the Web, but wise enough (and old enough, unfortunately) to take some of that with a pinch of salt.

Felix that's cool with Tony, I do find he rambles at times, but does seem to be a genuinely nice guy.

Lone Star

If you haven't played a TSL you'll find it quite different to the DSL you tried out. Don't base your "want" for the TSL on the tone you heard with the DSL. That's the only advice I can give.

That and the fact that there's a lot of scaremongering pish on the net about Marshalls overheating. A valve amp... getting warm?! Get outta town..

bad alice

Well, I was expecting a glowing review from you bad alice! :p

Have you used your POD through it yet? I can see it's got a parallel effects loop, which I had no idea what they were until about 10 mins ago! :( I'm still not sure if it's suited to a MFX unit?
Yeah, but tbh I'm not keeping too well right now and so I've just been running the POD straight into the front of my TSL.
As the POD does amp/cab modelling I've just turned all that stuff off so I'm just using it as a 8 button stomp box.
I'm mostly using the Marshall for gain tones but adding in a Tube Screamer/fuzz to the crunch channel is a treat!
The delays/filters and modulation stuff sounds bloody good too.
When I'm feeling better I'll experiment further with the effects loop.
But for now, it's ace as is!

Wuzza

long time lurker
One last thing, for bad alice, what's it like at lower volumes? I'm not sure if it would end up being too loud for home use.
Also not sure if I'm getting caught up in a "cheap Marshall quick" spout of gas..
Going to sleep on it.

bad alice

One last thing, for bad alice, what's it like at lower volumes? I'm not sure if it would end up being too loud for home use.
Also not sure if I'm getting caught up in a "cheap Marshall quick" spout of gas..
Going to sleep on it.
I'm playing mine in my front room in a semi detached house.
The master volume arrangement means you can really push the gain at neighbour-respecting volumes.
No complaints so far.
Either from me or the neighbours.
I haven't tried sleeping on it though...
I suppose there's more room on the 602 for that kind of thing?;)
Horses for courses etc etc