Amp choice for Gary Moore/ David Gilmour tones - losing my hair.

Hi guys, I'll try and keep this simple and hopefully your wisdom will help me.

Quick notes:
Beginner
Prs se custom 24. 85/15's

Preferred amp: (will get either at some point)
Fender bassbreaker 15 with (eventually)blues driver pedal.
Laney Lionheart L5t-112 with tube screamer/delay/bd pedals (eventually again).
Tone hunt: David Gilmour/Gary Moore tones. Blues/rock mid gain ( think prs custom 24 on bb15 with blues pedal mid gain)

Issue:
£150-200 budget at a stretch
Still want those tones or close as possible
Losing hair.

Curved ball: someone offered the laney to me for about 300, I could also get the bb15 for around that price too, maybe a touch more. But there's also been issues with the qc of the bb15's... How would I know if the one I'm buying (assuming) has gone through recall, could I send it for recall if I buy it used?

What amp should I get that matches what I want on the lowest of budgets? Don't mind if it's valve or ss or whatever else there is, just need something I'd enjoy you know? I'm definitely happy to buy used, infact prefer it.

Sorry if I haven't used the correct jargon!

Last edited:

mirage2101

Honestly? A katana..

But check www.gilmourish.com for great amp and pedal reviews. The guy really put a lot of time in and he has great taste. He’s the reason I got a buffalo fx evolution and it’s every bit as great as he says.

the thing is.. if you go amp and pedals you’ll need more budget even used. The katana just punches above it’s price class. And while it has easy to reach good tones. Proper use of the build on pedals will get you great results. Not to mention let you get in practice of how to use what effect without spending money.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@TheWidowMaker

if you want gilmour and moore out of one guitar, the SE C24 is a good start. the split is pretty good for a SC tone

i think the katana is unfortunately (or fortunately) the answer to most problems at its price point. it does so much so very well, and nothing else really gets close for tone, value, volume, etc. i expect the MK1 version will start to fall in cost 2nd hand now the MK2 is released

the advantage of little mess - everything is in the amp, so you don't have cables everywhere - is pretty good

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Katana-50-Guitar-Amplifier-Black-Mint-condition/114110954250

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Kat...r-original-packaging-hardly-used/223863140691

if you can find one and stretch to it, the 100W version is more flexible esp with the foot switch

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Katana-100-Amp/283781864585

it has several amp styles and loads of boss pedal emulations, so you should be able to get both the OTT Moore blues rock and the more subtle and varied prog/ psych Gilmour tones

if you want valves, it would be a stretch

a fender Blues jr would cover a lot of ground, but 2nd hand you are looking £400 and that's before the pedals you'd need. its a very non-gain amp. similarly a Vox AC15

a laney LC or VC combo will give you more gain and more VFM, but you'd still need some outboard gear for phaser/ vibe / echo and a fuzz and TS style

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-Amp-Laney-LC50-112-All-Valve-Guitar-Amp-Reverb/174137941657

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-LC30-II-Combo-Valve-amp/202882840538

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-VC30-112-30w-Valve-Combo-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier/333485274587

@TheWidowMaker

if you want gilmour and moore out of one guitar, the SE C24 is a good start. the split is pretty good for a SC tone

i think the katana is unfortunately (or fortunately) the answer to most problems at its price point. it does so much so very well, and nothing else really gets close for tone, value, volume, etc. i expect the MK1 version will start to fall in cost 2nd hand now the MK2 is released

the advantage of little mess - everything is in the amp, so you don't have cables everywhere - is pretty good

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Katana-50-Guitar-Amplifier-Black-Mint-condition/114110954250

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Kat...r-original-packaging-hardly-used/223863140691

if you can find one and stretch to it, the 100W version is more flexible esp with the foot switch

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Katana-100-Amp/283781864585

it has several amp styles and loads of boss pedal emulations, so you should be able to get both the OTT Moore blues rock and the more subtle and varied prog/ psych Gilmour tones

if you want valves, it would be a stretch

a fender Blues jr would cover a lot of ground, but 2nd hand you are looking £400 and that's before the pedals you'd need. its a very non-gain amp. similarly a Vox AC15

a laney LC or VC combo will give you more gain and more VFM, but you'd still need some outboard gear for phaser/ vibe / echo and a fuzz and TS style

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-Amp-Laney-LC50-112-All-Valve-Guitar-Amp-Reverb/174137941657

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-LC30-II-Combo-Valve-amp/202882840538

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laney-VC30-112-30w-Valve-Combo-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier/333485274587

Thanks so much, i was definitely considering the boss katana... Ive still managed to up my budget to £300, the Laney L5T-112 combo or the Bassbreaker 15. Both at the same price used.. on youtube, they both sound incredible although the bb15 was on the blues pedal and the laney had compressor, delay and something else. ( i dont mind getting those down the line)

Do you think the katana is still the better choice out of those? or should i go for the laney which is at a very good price, or the bassbreaker 15 (in reviews it outperformed the Blues Jr)?

Once, again i appreciate all the links provided.. cheeky me was looking at those katanas earlier.

mirage2101

Thanks so much, i was definitely considering the boss katana... Ive still managed to up my budget to £300, the Laney L5T-112 combo or the Bassbreaker 15. Both at the same price used.. on youtube, they both sound incredible although the bb15 was on the blues pedal and the laney had compressor, delay and something else. ( i dont mind getting those down the line)

Do you think the katana is still the better choice out of those? or should i go for the laney which is at a very good price, or the bassbreaker 15 (in reviews it outperformed the Blues Jr)?

Once, again i appreciate all the links provided.. cheeky me was looking at those katanas earlier.
If you compare the bare units. The katana is better. It has more sounds and a boatload of effects so you’re done with that one unit.

I liked the laney lionheart a lot. The bluesbreaker was on my radar for a while but I never tried it. The problem is that you’ll need to buy pedals with them and they only do one sound. So while they’re better at what they are. They’re more limited and you’ll need to spend another 150? quid to get the pedals you want.
to illustrate. I had a Princeton reissue with a helix hx effects. With the Princeton used that was a €1300 combination. The katana got to 80% of its sound quality wise.

another factor is the volume. For a tube amp to sound great you need volume. The tubes need to work. If you’re in a flat or a small house with close neighbors that katana might sound better because it doesn’t depend on volume for its sound.

I’ve had a long trek across amps over the years. And I think on a budget a katana100 with the large footswitch would be my answer. Of course I’m a gear nerd and I get the itch.. so when I got the change I’d move up to a bluesbreaker or the laney.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@TheWidowMaker

the question is - where do you want to be next year?

the Katana will probably still be going strong. but its not an "amp" amp

if you can stretch to a valve amp now and can live with its limitations until you can get a few pedals, that might be more fun long term

that is in effect what i have done since the late 90's. i got a Blues Jr*, already had a marshall guvnor and a couple of other pedals. then slowly built from there

you also have to remember 15 watts of valve is quite loud, and might contend with drums in a rehearsal room or jam. but you won't get any pretty cleans. and a 5W tube amp will sound beautiful, but disappear in the same context

*note - the BB15 is fine, but i prefer the Jr. its dreadful as a stand alone amp, but i use pedals as my source of gain so its perfect. a deluxe would be lovely, however it would be too loud for me

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
I'm pretty sure Anderton's did a Sound Like David Gilmour. I'd take a look and see what they used. In fact, I'll look it up for you:

They went with a Hot Rod Deluxe which, even used, is going to be outside your price range a little. And you're still going to need those outboard pedals to get the sound. I think you could go with a budget phaser, delay and compressor and put your money into the amp. The Hot Rod Deluxe is probably worth saving up for.

mirage2101

I'm going to second @johnniegoat partially. I think the katana can be a long term amp if that's the budget you're in. It plays a lot like an amp amp. But considering long term investment. You'll probably upgrade. I think you can be happy with the katana for years. Until you've got more budget.

All that said.. Getting a cab is something you can't do soon enough. I mucked about with combo's for too long before getting a cab and it freed me.

A hot rod deluxe is a great amp but I think problematic volume wise. There are great solutions. I used an attenuator for a good while and still would if my current amp didn't have a great master volume.

For home use.. You could also consider something like the blackstar ht1 or one of those little vox nutube heads. Dial it in clean or edge of breakup. Put pedals in front of it and go for it. That way you don't invest a lot in the amp, build your effects collection and you can get another head at some time in the future.

I think it's important to notice that none of us really have a definitive answer for you. We're throwing up options. In the end you'll have to play some amps and see if it clicks for you. I can say katana or blackstar all day. But if you try them and it's not your sound? Well that's it. We can't tell you your taste. By that same logic, there is no wrong. If you turn out to love the id:core stuff, more power to you. (I just realized a yamaha thr might be in range too for really low volume play and a wide range of sound)

I think you all make fair arguments/points and it's true... There's no right or wrong, but there's always a motive. I just needed to understand mine better or learn how everyone else makes their decision with a bit of 'if I had to start again knowing what I know now' kinda thing.

The katana after your recommendation and reviews made it a no brainer - but with the budget increase from 200 to 300 quid for used, kinda just makes sense to get a small valve don't it?

I tried and compared the blackstar ht20 to the vox ac15 ... The ac15 murdered the ht20 in my opinion.

I mean... Listen to this and tell me I'm wrong in wanting it over the bassbreaker 15. Ha
Lionheart L5T demo (killer tones)
Bassbreaker 15 blues (this tone inspired me originally)
Both take pedals well too from what I can tell... There's just tonnes more info on the bassbreaker vs laney,
What do you guys think of the two there? I'd love to compare my noob ears to yours on the same example.

I wonder why there aren't many reviews on laney, specifically andertons.

I did learn that valves respond to your input more, that would probably shape the way I play at this early stage and I'd go for valve if I can help it... After all it's the break up sound where all the grinning happens.

Chu

I'd go Katana all day long. I've played modellors, valves, solid state, valves, modellers, valves..... Choosing a valve amp over a modeller and expecting it to sound better isn't as clear cut as you might think. A lot of valve amps shine at one or two sounds (without the help of pedals) and if you don't like those tones, you're stuffed. I've owned and borrowed a number of brilliant valve amps only to realise that they don't do the tones I want. So don't write off the Katana because it's not valve.....

As for DG tones, compression and high volume is pretty essential to get the sustain he has. Most of us use higher gain to approximate him without realising how clean his sound can be.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I appreciate everyones advice and learned a fair bit, definitely helped me to make a decision.

So I picked up the laney L5T-112 UK version as the deal was banging and the tones are fantastic. Lovely little amp... If anyone ever wants to check it out I'd be happy to invite you lot lol.

Thanks again!
Ps: the boss katana is still a solid amp, but for the price/value of the laney's atm is hard to argue with!

mirage2101

Hi guys,

I appreciate everyones advice and learned a fair bit, definitely helped me to make a decision.

So I picked up the laney L5T-112 UK version as the deal was banging and the tones are fantastic. Lovely little amp... If anyone ever wants to check it out I'd be happy to invite you lot lol.

Thanks again!
Ps: the boss katana is still a solid amp, but for the price/value of the laney's atm is hard to argue with!
Well done! Well expect a NAD post once you’ve got a proper chance to play it.

I loved that amps clean tone and the gain channel has a lovely bluesy sound. If you turn it to the edge of breakup and put a pedal or two in front..
hmm I might have to rethink my current amp settings...

Hmmm... Yeh true, pics or it didn't happen lol. Well here's one...

Took it home and warmed it up, put a few power chords through it and yes, this thing can get loud!

Defo want to get some delay/compression/tube screamer pedals... But as a noob, I'll just stick to getting my chords properly first ha.

What are you guys rocking?

Note: I had to take a screen shot of the photo I took since the photo was too large to upload.

Attachments

mirage2101

Hmmm... Yeh true, pics or it didn't happen lol. Well here's one...

Took it home and warmed it up, put a few power chords through it and yes, this thing can get loud!

Defo want to get some delay/compression/tube screamer pedals... But as a noob, I'll just stick to getting my chords properly first ha.

What are you guys rocking?

Note: I had to take a screen shot of the photo I took since the photo was too large to upload.
5 watt can be a LOT at home. Especially if you want those tubes to work for it. You could easily put a weber mini mass between the amp and the speaker to tame the volume while still being able to let the tubes work. But start with getting to know the amp before you fiddle too much with it.
The map is as much an instrument as your guitar is.

As for pedals, when you decide to start, keep it simple and allow yourself some time to actually learn what a pedal does. Low gain high volume? or high gain, low volume? I recently found out my delay pedal has a 40 second looper in it and I can use an expression pedal to influence the delay time. I've managed to use it in a gilmour sound on sound like way. I've had the pedal for.. oh.. 15 years? Don't be me ;-) get one at a time and learn what it does.

As for what I'm rocking.. I recently purchased a mesa boogie mark V. It's completely overkill and ridiculous for me but it's soooo good.. (And yes I sold my moms kidney for it)