Altering Pickup Treble Level

Adji

Not Enough Prog
I love my strat with LACE pickups to bits , but my LACE Red in the bridge is extremly trebly and rendered almost unusable. Is there a feasible way to reduce the treble in this pickup? Or should I sacrifice having a tone knob for the middle pickup and wire the RED to the tone knob?

If you don't use the middle as much just re-wire that instead I guess. Short of making alterations to the scratchplate for further pots (which I highly doubt takes your fancy) making use of an existing pot makes sense.

Don't listen to me, i am clueless.

Ernesto

Does not have the same opinion!
You can bleed off a little more treble by altering the value of the condenser over the tone control. If you need flexibility there you can change the tone control to a varitone control with multiple condensers. Works better than a tone control anyway, and can solve all problems. :D
A possibility is though that you can solve it by adjusting pickup height and/or strings make. Pickup height definitely does a lot.

Adji

Not Enough Prog
Cheers for the tips guys, I think re-wiring may be the way to go.
Ernesto, do you mean Capacitor? If not, what is a condenser doing in my guitar haha?

Ernesto

Does not have the same opinion!
Adji said:
Cheers for the tips guys, I think re-wiring may be the way to go.
Ernesto, do you mean Capacitor? If not, what is a condenser doing in my guitar haha?
Hahaha, yes, have fallen victim to the language trap, that's the consequence of not having English as mother tongue, indeed capacitors, condensers would not be a good idea. Good on you you still knew what I meant. :D

Anonymoose

Midget Metal Monkey
Ernesto said:
You can bleed off a little more treble by altering the value of the condenser over the tone control. If you need flexibility there you can change the tone control to a varitone control with multiple condensers. Works better than a tone control anyway, and can solve all problems. :D
A possibility is though that you can solve it by adjusting pickup height and/or strings make. Pickup height definitely does a lot.
What is this capacitor of which you speak? I'd love to try out this sort of thing! The only problem is my tone controls are wired to my neck pickup as both tone controls AND BACKWARDS VOLUME CONTROLS :D Thank god I've got my new guitar I can use solely until i sort that out lol

Adji

Not Enough Prog
There is a capcitor (or should be) over your tone pot inside the guitar. It will most likely be orange, maybe blue.

Basically, it prevents the treble from rolling off as you turn your volume knob down.

Did you get any further with this mod dude? Would be interesting to see how much it altered your tone without touching any other setting on your rig or guitar :D

Adji

Not Enough Prog
I haven't had a go yet. I'm extremely poor, I literally have 40p which is not enough for a good selection of caps haha.

I'll let you know how it turns out if I ever do it.