Advice on PSU for my Boss pedals.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
quick note on the MXR M238 Iso-Brick @Robstafarian recommends

he is right - its a blinding unit, with multi-voltage options and 2 outputs and a "sag" pot to emulate a failing battery to make your fuzzes all Eric Johnson

i want one - but buyers should be aware. the TREX i own, and many others, use a standard kettle lead with the PSU in the case

this MXR has an external wallwart PSU with a standard barrel jack - i am not sure if this is a proprietary PSU or easily available.

barrel jacks are fine, but not as robust as a kettle lead, and i expect it would not take as rough handling as a kettle lead model

still want one though. or a TRX Chameleon. or both

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
The one I recently bought with 2 Boss pedals has the kettle style setup. It's just like a PSU for a PC, which is something I understand really well :)

I've just bought the replacement pups for my LP Custom, so once that's finished I'm going to sort all my Boss pedals and PSU needs out and post some updates.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
@Felix

just be aware.

@Robstafarian is one of the finest souls i have the pleasure of knowing. but he will spec you a rig for playing wembley rather than your bedroom ;)
Roberto knows me well enough after all these years that I'm too stubborn to change much about my rig. Most of the stuff I need help with is pretty mundane really. It's unlikely I will ever go for an amp that's not a Marshall / Silver Jubilee and I'm pretty happy with having just 2 guitars.

Coming to this thread late, thanks to the abusive (if accurate) mention by our resident old goat.

I have a pair of Harley Benton Power Plants that used to power my pedalboard, and contrary to the others here, I did have some noticeable hum when running through my pedalboard. A couple of months ago, I bought a Truetone 1spot Pro from Anderton's, and it's definitely quieter. So my conclusion was that the HBs are not the same as the more expensive power plants out there.

Mind you, if you're running through your big-ass 4x12, and particularly if you're on single coils, the noise will probably be drowned out by everything else anyway! So it's up to you....but I wouldn't really recommend them unless you're on a very tight budget and can accept that you might get some hum.

The Truetone power block seems to be pretty good and it's very versatile. I went through all of this recently, and it's very hard to find a good solution for large numbers of pedals, particularly as the larger power supplies all have a couple of odd outputs that will be useless for you (18v, or AC etc.). Some of the Cioks ones look good, but I don't think Anderton's sells them.

The (probably horrendously) expensive option would be to get TheGigRig's modular solution, which consists of a base power supply and modules that provide different levels / types of power. I suspect that would be pretty expensive...but then again, two decent power bricks will set you back a good £300+ anyway.

I would actually suggest two other alternatives:

(A) Get a single power supply and just swap your pedals in and out - I guess you don't use 16 pedals all of the time!

(B) Wait for Boss to release their Helix equivalent. Now that they already have the pedals modelled for the Katana amp, I suspect that this won't be long in arriving.

Baggy

Coming to this thread late, thanks to the abusive (if accurate) mention by our resident old goat.

I have a pair of Harley Benton Power Plants that used to power my pedalboard, and contrary to the others here, I did have some noticeable hum when running through my pedalboard. A couple of months ago, I bought a Truetone 1spot Pro from Anderton's, and it's definitely quieter. So my conclusion was that the HBs are not the same as the more expensive power plants out there.

Mind you, if you're running through your big-ass 4x12, and particularly if you're on single coils, the noise will probably be drowned out by everything else anyway! So it's up to you....but I wouldn't really recommend them unless you're on a very tight budget and can accept that you might get some hum.

The Truetone power block seems to be pretty good and it's very versatile. I went through all of this recently, and it's very hard to find a good solution for large numbers of pedals, particularly as the larger power supplies all have a couple of odd outputs that will be useless for you (18v, or AC etc.). Some of the Cioks ones look good, but I don't think Anderton's sells them.

The (probably horrendously) expensive option would be to get TheGigRig's modular solution, which consists of a base power supply and modules that provide different levels / types of power. I suspect that would be pretty expensive...but then again, two decent power bricks will set you back a good £300+ anyway.

I would actually suggest two other alternatives:

(A) Get a single power supply and just swap your pedals in and out - I guess you don't use 16 pedals all of the time!

(B) Wait for Boss to release their Helix equivalent. Now that they already have the pedals modelled for the Katana amp, I suspect that this won't be long in arriving.
The normal Harley Benton power plant do not have isolated outputs that's probably why you had noise issues. The Harley Benton junior on the other hand does have isolated outputs but only 5 like the trex fuel tank junior. I've got 2 to ensure that I only have 1 pedal per output and this ensures (if that's the right word) no noise. TGP is 'the gear page' from what I've read on their it's an oddity if they like anything lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
I linked to pricing when I mentioned that.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
@GloopyJon , I normally use my Les Paul Custom and I still get noticable noise. With my Strat Plus I have Lace Sensor pickups which again have the same issues. If I use my limited edition US Strat, the noise the step up compared to my two other guitars.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
i have a TREX classic - its really good, though i have recently discover the outputs are not isolated.

still, works good and has been very reliable

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
When we get the magazines delivered to our house (basically my dad publishes a local magazine with advertisers) we get them on these really big wooden pallets. I'm thinking about getting one of these chopped up and using it as the basis for an pedalboard.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@Felix

that could work - but be really careful. pallet wood is not very refined, so full of splinters just waiting to gouge into your hand

if you want to go that route, get to a B&Q or Homebase - they do a finished Pine shelf for @ £6-7, which would be presanded and easy to cover or paint. then put on some pedal board tape and feet