Adventures in very simple woodworking.

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
[if a passing mod could move this to the "building and customisation" area, I'd be very grateful]

Tl : DR Rack v6 'the Monolith is progressing well. Apologies for the photo heavy nature of the posts.

So. The Lockdown stalled the plan to engorge the Rack v5 and my inertia put the plans on hold...until some recent trips to Ikea made some fairly old (but still very nice) Ivar shelving available. Some small purchases (2 pairs of drawer runners, 2 short rack rails, and a rack shelf.... about £25ish in total), and there was then only inertia and a fear of cabling to stop me.

Photo essay follows.

First we gut the victim........
2020-08-01 11.40.30.jpg
Trying to keep the wiring together as a full loom failed as soon as i put it down on the floor (20 mins of careful untangling turned it into neat groups of cables. The Gr55 loom and the expression pedal looms stayed together... which was nice.

2020-08-01 17.13.21.jpg
[why yes I do wear large black fluffy slippers, why do you ask ?]

Last edited:

DrHankWanfordSnr

Made an empty frame which...... thanks to the incremental learning from previous versions.... is both square, and robust*.
2020-07-31 17.44.37.jpg
* NB. The main strength/stiffness come from bolting the rack items in....

Then we got busy swapping the rails over......and so glad i put the parasol over the work area as the repeated showers yesterday were a complete pain. 2020-08-01 11.52.53.jpg

Ready for shelving !! 2020-08-01 14.16.52.jpg
The 2x small brown brackets are to support the rear of the JMP-1. Which is heavy, and missing its steel reinforcing rack ears (it was only £120... I shouldn't complain) meaning that the aluminium faceplate would bend/break if I didn't support it. The 9100 is supported front & back as well as its rack rails.

Last edited:

DrHankWanfordSnr

And this is where we stopped.......

Screwed in the drawer runners and 3 existing drawers (lots of measuring, marking, drilling) and bolted in the 'cool stuff'
2020-08-01 17.26.55.jpg
Rear elevation.....

2020-08-01 17.00.37.jpg
(Why do I have the power supply and a light on the rear ? Because it fits... and the light is really dim... its useless for illuminating the front of the rack.

Next job.... cut one last shelf to fill the obvious gap... make some extra side panels to fill the obvious gaps... and clean off my pen marks/paint marks
2020-08-01 17.00.27.jpg
...and make the top fit a bit better. I was really pooped by this point.

Last edited:

DrHankWanfordSnr

Shelf cutting was a complete success in not cutting off a finger.

Fun fact. If you're careful, and pull just hard enough...... pedal board tape comes off and can be re-positioned. Pull too hard and the glue gets left behind.
So a once over with Mr sheen, and we repopulate the pedals.

Top floor for excitement....,
2020-08-02 13.55.36.jpg

A mixed bag of drive, synth, harmony, and the Mimic...... which causes routing headaches by needing stereo returns
IMG_20200802_135554.jpg

Pitch and drums.
2020-08-02 13.56.08.jpg
& Synth in the basement...
2020-08-02 13.56.16.jpg

Re-cabling the monolith is next. Not as bad as it might seem - its 4 simple pedal board and some rack FX. You pick a point and start. Signal, power, midi.

NB. Questions along the lines of "But you can't use get you foot onto [name of pedal]..whats the point of that. "
Can have the answer - Anything that needs a foot (the trio, the whammy, the Hog etc).... either has has a cable down to the small pedlaboard of inexpensive footswitches. [I've a plan for modding the Freqout to have one too] OR is controlled via midi from the Helix (which is a pretty darn spiffy midi controller) !
"Why have such a complicated rig?" - Because I get bored quickly.... this lets me have a different setup every few days....without moving any cables (or selling and rebuying stuff)
"You'll never get that in your car/take it anywhere" - Its never leaving my house, it may travel to my living room....or maybe the patio (if I remove the 9100 I can pick it up).

2020-08-02 13.55.25.jpg
I'm waiting on a bag of cable ties from ebay...........

[NB. Using 2u to store the Helix controller......... But its also acting as a place holder for an ADA MP-1*, and another other tasty 1u item.......like a Triaxis*, or Synergy rack preamp.....Should they every come into range.

*list items

Last edited:

beans & rice

[if a passing mod could move this to the "building and customisation" area, I'd be very grateful]

Tl : DR Rack v6 'the Monolith is progressing well. Apologies for the photo heavy nature of the posts.

So. The Lockdown stalled the plan to engorge the Rack v5 and my inertia put the plans on hold...until some recent trips to Ikea made some fairly old (but still very nice) Ivar shelving. Some small purchases (2 pairs of drawer runners, 2 short rack rails, and a rack shelf.... about £25ish in total) and there was then only inertia and a fear of cabling to stop me.

Photo essay follows.

First we gut the victim........
View attachment 39556
Trying to keep the wiring together as a full loom failed as soon as i put it down on the floor (20 mins of careful untangling turned it into neat groups of cables. The Gr55 loom and the expression pedal looms stayed together... which was nice.

View attachment 39557
[why yes I do wear large black fluffy slippers, why do you ask ?]
Jeez, it's like a zombie orgy with guts all over the place. Made me a little queasy. :confused::D

It's funny your foot made it in there, I was going to post about sellers on Reverb laying gear on the floor and taking a photo with their damn feet poking into the bottom of the frame. Major points to you for the slippers. :clap:

DrHankWanfordSnr

Jeez, it's like a zombie orgy with guts all over the place. Made me a little queasy. :confused::D

It's funny your foot made it in there, I was going to post about sellers on Reverb laying gear on the floor and taking a photo with their damn feet poking into the bottom of the frame. Major points to you for the slippers. :clap:
No one needs to see my feet.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Nice camouflage work with your slipper on the carpet. How often do you lose your slippers, only to find out they are right in front of you on that carpet?

I love how your rig concept is the total opposite of mine. I like simplicity and feel like my Pedaltrain Jr with the Kraken running in 4CM with a Hot Rod is already too complicated. You on the other hand go for quadruple redundancy. I think your rig is every studio's dream.

DrHankWanfordSnr

Nice camouflage work with your slipper on the carpet. How often do you lose your slippers, only to find out they are right in front of you on that carpet?
"WHERE HAVE MY FEET GONE !!!1!11!1"

I love how your rig concept is the total opposite of mine. I like simplicity and feel like my Pedaltrain Jr with the Kraken running in 4CM with a Hot Rod is already too complicated. You on the other hand go for quadruple redundancy. I think your rig is every studio's dream.
Leaving 2u of space was a mistake........ I keep thinking of ways to fill it...........

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
LOL, there I was making a fuss because I made a cable snake with 3 20ft cables, thinking it's too much...and then you come along. I hate cables. I just hate wireless a little bit more so I stick to cables.

DrHankWanfordSnr

Busy week at work this week, so not a lot of progress. Been doing a small job while there's a bit of daylight.

Got the midi cables installed and working (pretty easy)

Set up the DC power supply in the top of the rack (I'm looking at making this have an external on/off separate to the main rack power switch) and got DC to all of the pedals... and everything powers up. Yay ! (also ran out of cables, ordered some....then found a bag of spare cables while looking for patch cables & jack plugs. Bugger)

I've cabled each pedal shelf with patch leads between the pedals (ran out of patch cables) and attached their loop i/o.... then stopped for the night

Next job is to troubleshoot the signal cabling for passing signal with minimal noise - I'd prefer to not need noise gates here&there. Then I can turn the chaos into neatened pedals cabling and looms - shortening the cabling and tying each set of cables into some kind of order - AND make sure the drawers all still open (the pedals are at desk height which is just what I wanted).

I also have to find some material for the sides, and maybe put the RGB lighting back in.

[update..new pine inserts made for the sides, and the RGD lighting got a bit damaged when I removed it...... Some soldering needed which is a job for another day..]

Last edited:

DrHankWanfordSnr

Minor update... some shelving added for cabs etc. Instead of balancing the monster cab on a chair, some Ikea off-cuts become shelving again.....when I really should have been doing cable management.

2020-08-13 11.43.25.jpg
To play the H&K, Lead 12, or the Class 5, there's a cable from one of the Helix loops to send a signal to them for pedals and such) or I can plug straight into them. The H&K goes straight back into the Helix (so it can have reverb !), but they can all play out through the 2x12 or the wee cabs. Yes. The Class 5 does partially block the doorway, but its easily moved.

Also did some exploratory surgery on my Freqout pedal - which you shouldn't take apart (the circuit board is attached to the fancy leds with an array of long pins........ very fiddly to reassemble) and the plan to extend a footswitch down to the rest of the peds to have a "feedback NOW" button" is GO! Some drilling of the casing and a pair of wires to the tiny microswitch, and a long cable [cable and footswitch made, other bits&pieces ordered].

Last edited:

DrHankWanfordSnr

This is an absolute thing of beauty, dude!

I've been considering doing something similar myself, as the main pieces of kit that I use currently are both rack-mountable it makes little sense to... not have them in a rack. :p

Cheers for the inspiration!
2x Ikea Ivar sides (around a tenner each), 2 rack rails (ebay) and you're 'at the races'. The rest is frippery (wheels, sides/lid, magnetic catches etc) . :)
I've made a few threads on previous builds which start very basic, and build to this monstrosity. I use Ivar as I had alot of it spare in the house, its solid pine, and relatively sturdy. Comes in 2x depths 30cm and 50cm.

Some side views - with/without the lid/side panels (now with wonky velcro tape !). The overall goal was to house my gear collection in something that wasn't an eyesore, could move to the living room, had a relatively small footprint, and didn't cost alot. A huge touring rack case on wheels would have been great... but price and their size ruled one out........ 2020-08-16 18.19.42.jpg
NB - cheapo magnetic cupboard catches are great to hold the lid in place - but not quite manly enough for the sides, the lower panels are either screwed to the drawer runners or glued in. The cable/headphone holders are Ikea folding coathooks (3 for a tenner https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bjaernum-folding-hook-aluminium-60152590/ ). My woodworking is still very basic, . 2020-08-16 18.18.56.jpg

Still a few jobs to do.... address the stupidly sharp corners on the drawer runners, cable management (everything works, but I need to loom it all). I'm also at the weight limit for the wheels and the screws holding them in - future mods to strengthen these in the future.

Last edited:

DrHankWanfordSnr

Chaos vs order.
I've been trying out the different rig combinations over the last couple of weeks. Everything works. So its time to impose a degree of order on the rig - and loom the cabling to let the drawers open freely without snagging.
Some Ikea cable tidy may have been used.
2020-08-23 15.02.41.jpg
Moved the rack over into the intermittent sunshine in the middle of the office, had a few cold beers, an audio book, and 'loomed' the drawers. All of the cabled get shortened to a the same length with enough slack to allow the drawer to open - then fixed to the drawer and the frame. this is where I got to......I think this is as neat as it'll ever get. Still a bit off faffing and check to do (I've rejigged the usb cabling to all go into the same powered hub......... we'll see if it works).
2020-08-23 18.39.11.jpg
Also did some pre-cabling for an incoming rack item... and I'm thinking of adding a patchbay.

Last edited: