A year in the guitar world

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
It’s been a while, probably about 14 months (?) if not more since I last posted here. A lot has changed and I figured that some of you might want to hear about the journey I have been on since last year. I’m not sure how much I’m going to type, I shall see how tedious it is to read before I post it.

I think the biggest change came last summer into autumn. Things at my (then) full time job were getting ridiculous. My boss was happy to let his business fall apart with me at the helm. As SC Relics was growing, his business was failing so I took some comfort that it wasn’t me causing the decline. After months of trying to rejuvenate how we did things I ended up having to go to hospital with stress related issues in my sight. Everything is okay now but at the time it was just another problem to deal with. I won’t go into all th details of what happened but I can tell you that last October I handed my notice in and walked out 3 weeks into my 4 week notice period. Already at that point i had enough guitar work to see me through December and January.

So.... that was that. I spent weeks not really believing what I had done tbh. I carried on with the work though and got planning my new workshop ASAP. The kitchen table and 5’x5’ shed simply weren’t going to cut it anymore not to mention that my wife didn’t deserve the house to be covered in guitar bodies and necks.

We got the workshop (10’x20’) up and running within 10 days of it being delivered.

A76E14AC-5956-4362-B842-E058A278EE00.jpeg

Needless to say it is now connected to the mains, heater, insulated, drylined and fully functioning.

The next few months were the scary ones. February, March and April seemed ridiculously difficult but thankfully since May/June the rotation of work has come good and we are now operating a 3-4 month lead in time. Absolutely crazy to think about tbh. It was during the summer time that we completed work for Adrian Thorpe at Thorpy FX...

55DEBC21-1B50-4F5B-8795-D5DA21390062.jpeg

Yip that’s a paisley relic strat body and matching scratchplate. This guitar is now on show at Thorpy HQ. Shortly after that came Danish Petes order and I believe there is a video due on Andertons tv shortly featuring the body I did. Storm shadow Guitar works have also just received two bodies back from us to create these beauties..

0874E546-D84B-44D8-98D8-5DD73029F255.jpeg

E73331D8-7830-4CC2-AD5C-BD7EA44869FB.jpeg

In the middle of all this a cease and desist email and Fedex’d package arrived from fender. Nice to see we got the attention of the big boys. They got their wires crossed... they thought we were manufacturing fender licenced necks (which we don’t). So, a little legal hiccup caused our Instagram page to be shut down. Annoyingly we had to start again but it’s fine. SC Relics hasn’t spent a penny on advertising so the fact that we are this far in with no paid attention coming out of the bank account I’d say that’s pretty good. Anyway, fender were sent a legal and straight forward reply and that was that.

We’ve also been supplying Axecaster (parts supplier in the uk) with finished bodies as well as tonematters in Germany. It’s been amazing to also say that we’ve shipped to the US, Japan, Sweden, Austria, Italy, Spain... to name a few.

A rather pleasant request that we got too much was to offer full builds.. so we did! I won’t detail that here, I shall start a thread to detail what we’re doing and document some of the more interesting commissions in their own threads (if I remember to take pics as I’m going along!)

It’s crazy how the internet has made an idea on a scrap of paper into a reality that pays a (crap!) wage but a wage never the less.

Currently, I can work when I want, how I want and I have full creative freedom which is nearly priceless. Next year we are aiming to expand into more full builds and higher quality partcaster bodies in a few key styles which I’ll keep quiet for now.

I hope that wasn’t a boring read. It’s been a rollercoaster year and I’m extremely grateful for everyone that has given this young company a chance to shine. Bigger and better things to come, I look forward to showing you what we do in more detail shortly.

Last edited:

Chu

I didn't glaze over at any point Scott! A very good read and am really happy that it's gone so well. I'm petrified of self employment but I guess the organic growth of SC Relics makes the adjustment a little easier.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
That a fantastic journey in a (relatively) short space of time - huge congrats @Lonestar
And may your pants be well lined to support the kahunas you clearly bear...*pauses to wonder if that’s too much but then QUICKLY remembers what Forum she’s posting on:)*
It’s good having you back here bud
And I hope Laura and the kids are well too?
:)

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Thank you all.

@Chu the gradual growth and natural expansion has been nice. Very controllable. I’m enlisting help as from next month thankfully.

@Sustainerplayer personally I’m not much of a social media user either but for business purposes I’m all in. I don’t have a personal insta account and I only post once a week on my own Facebook page tbh.

@bad alice thank you! The family is good, I think they like having me around more but you do have to get creative to give yourself a time out from being at home all day.. if that makes sense?

@mirage2101 in order to take the shine off all of this I can tell you that I’m up at 5am every morning and work all day, stop for a few hours over dinner and bring work in to the house with me to do. I also work 60-70 hours a week minimum for less that minimum wage. The glossy part of the job I show on social media hides a plethora of downsides. But, every job has good points and bad points.

Wuzza

long time lurker
But, every job has good points and bad points.
Strange as it is referring to (at least Pete, from an old man who still cant get his head around the interwebs) as famous people, having your work in the hands of Adrian Thorpe and Danish Pete must be such an amazing feeling.
You're also living the dream, and that in itself, is priceless. ;)

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Strange as it is referring to (at least Pete, from an old man who still cant get his head around the interwebs) as famous people, having your work in the hands of Adrian Thorpe and Danish Pete must be such an amazing feeling.
You're also living the dream, and that in itself, is priceless. ;)
It is amazing, it’s hard to stop and think about it though. There’s a mountain of work here to do and no end in sight. That keeps things pretty ground tbh.

mirage2101

@mirage2101 in order to take the shine off all of this I can tell you that I’m up at 5am every morning and work all day, stop for a few hours over dinner and bring work in to the house with me to do. I also work 60-70 hours a week minimum for less that minimum wage. The glossy part of the job I show on social media hides a plethora of downsides. But, every job has good points and bad points.
On the other hand I just worked through christmas, barely making it to christmas dinner because we had issues at work with the servers. So yeah..
The thing is when I see you or gloopy tell about this kinda stuff it sounds nice as something different to do. Maybe build amps.. Europe could use a boutique amp brand :)
On the other hand, I have a great job that I love and it pays damn well. So it's difficult to move out of something like that. Which makes me respect you all the more for taking a step and starting something for yourself with all the ups and downs that it brings.

Though I hope you have a plan to be able to work less hours because this doesn't sound sustainable.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
:eek:
Well, this is unexpected!
That's a heck of a lot of (good) info, there. I DID wonder what the heck happened to the Instagram account, but I guess those things (rather annoyingly) do happen.
Some of the things I've seen come out of your little workshop very well SHOULD be getting Fender's attention, though hopefully in a more positive light, in the future.

Glad to see you around here and updating on interesting happenings, bud!
I do hope you get in a comfortable spot where you aren't being overloaded with work hours, or at the very least, I hope your work continues in a way that makes you feel like those hours are enjoyable and barely any work at all ;).
I've been loving almost everything you've put out there, so far, and clearly, I'm not alone.
Keep up the killer work!

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
Thanks Ty :)

I must get those ideas over to you that we last spike about although I know it’s been a tough time for you this last few months. I need business cards and possibly t shirts done so the new graphics are vital. I’ll try and do a colour mock up to send to you this week.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Great to hear some positive news. I hope the new year brings you all you need. I'm sure the reason don't need to advertise much is because your work speaks for itself.

I work from home. I'm not much of a 'people person' and I changed to from 'mainly on the road' to almost always at home but even so it was an adjustment to get used to not seeing people every day. It's not for everyone but was a real privilege when the kids were little though and is still so useful just to 'be around' when needed. When you work at home and especially when you work for for yourself you can't really compare hourly rate - So much of a 9-5 (I know that doesn't really exist) salary is used for getting to and from and making up for the stress and quality time lost to the job.