A little bit of Power... actually a lot

So - I bought a Friedman Grid 10 power supply; which I can't speak highly enough of... it does 9V DC @ 350ma; but it does do 10 of them - and they are all individually isolated so they are 100% noise free.

However I have some pedals which need more beef.

Mooer Pre-amp Live: 12V DC @ 1A (psu: 12V DC @ 1A)
Mooer Radar: 12V DC @ 300ma (psu: 12V DC @ 1A)
Maxon RTO700: 9V DC @ 440ma (psu: 9V DC @ 2A !!!)
Boss ES-8: 9V DC @ 400ma (psu: 9V DC @ 500ma)

Ideally I'd like to get a PSU to power all 4 of these.

I'm slightly concerned about the RTO700 power supply, although the specs say that it only needs 440ma, they give it a 2amp PSU makes my hair stand on end; I know you should over rate the PSU, but 4x as much is over kill?

I've been looking at the Cioks DC7 which is fully configurable and can do 9V@1.2A and 12V@1A (in parallel) so it should tick all the boxes assuming the Maxon doesn't actually need 2amps. With a maximum rating of 48W, the pedals adding up to approx 28W should be ok.

Any other suggestions/comments?

Take a look at the Truetone 1spot pedals that Anderton's sells. I have one of them, and it's pretty quiet and quite versatile. This one is the biggest, and is probably the one that I have (not at home now) unless it's a newer model since I bought mine.

mirage2101

That power supply is just a standard of the shelf thing they got. There's no reason to overdimension that much but it's not cheaper to get a smaller one if they have other products they use this one for. It's a numbers game.

Before moving away from pedalboards I used this:
https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m238-7-10137-08665-4.do
I was really happy with it. It eliminated almost all the noise I got by daisy chaining pedals.

Take a look at the Truetone 1spot pedals that Anderton's sells.
Before moving away from pedalboards I used this:
https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m238-7-10137-08665-4.do
I was really happy with it. It eliminated almost all the noise I got by daisy chaining pedals.

Hi Jon & Mirage... thanks for your comments but sadly neither power supply comes close to the mA requirements;

I had another look on the Anderton's website, looks like the DC7 is the only power brick that can supply multiple 9V & 12V at up to 1amp.

mirage2101

Hi Jon & Mirage... thanks for your comments but sadly neither power supply comes close to the mA requirements;

I had another look on the Anderton's website, looks like the DC7 is the only power brick that can supply multiple 9V & 12V at up to 1amp.
Ah crap I overlooked that pre-amp.. That actually might need that much power. Or... You could use one brick and just fix the adapter of the amp under your board and just use two power cords?
That's how I dealt with the supply for my hx effects.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Ah crap I overlooked that pre-amp.. That actually might need that much power. Or... You could use one brick and just fix the adapter of the amp under your board and just use two power cords?
That's how I dealt with the supply for my hx effects.
Same here. I have the adapter for my HX effects and the adapter for my One Control Micro powersupply coming out of my board. I combine a Wah, tuner and Distortion pedal with the HX.

Of course the benefit of the Cioks DC7 is, not only will it power everything; and since I'm having two PSUs anyway I might as well power everything I can.

And I'm really tempted by the Effectrode 12AX7 preamps which also require 12V DC @ 1amp... I am drooling thinking about it.

That Mooer Preamp Live app eats phone battery like it's going out of fashion... and they've thought of that too... I can charge my mobile phone, USB: 5V@1Amp!

mirage2101

I saw the cioks mentioned on the YouTube channel of that bald German guy I can’t remember his name of. Supposedly it’s the supply that kills all others.

Cioks DC7 arrived yesterday in the mail from Andertons!
It's now powering all the things!
Well... all the things over 350ma or +12V.... the Grid 10 is powering the low power 9V ones ;)

Edit: the parallel "high current" cables aren't included.. luckily i thought to order one.
Edit2: parallel "high current" cables say on the packaging they are "centre positive". But the fact is that it depends what you plug in to them. Centre negative cables don't invert when you use one.
Edit3: yes, i'm a nerd; i checked the voltage and polarity with a voltmeter before i plugged them in! :p

Last edited: